Protocom Technology, announced the introduction of the PR818 single
chip MPEG-4 A/V CODEC.
Supporting both NTSC and PAL video formats, Protocom's PR818 ISO/IEC
compliant MPEG-4 CODEC offers high quality image capturing and
" We believe entry level camcorder pricing can immediately reach $399
or lower," stated Isaac van Kempen, vice president of marketing at
Protocom's PR818 is currently in production and is appropriate for use
in many mobile consumer electronics applications. Additional features
* MPEG-4 capture and display at near DV Video quality.
* Hardwired architecture.
* Flexible audio options including MP-3, AAC, WMA and ADPCM.
* Integrated ARM 922T RISC core and RTOS eliminating the need and cost
of a host processor.
* Supports both CCD and CMOS sensors up to 16 mega-pixels.
* BGA packaging, 16.5 mm x 16.5 mm configuration.