Intersil unveiled the world's first laser diode drivers (LDDs) that integrate write strategy waveform generators for all DVD and CD formats, including DVD-RAM. Intersil's new Elantec EL691X programmable LDDs offer the flexible architecture needed to support different media, DVD or CD standards and read/write speeds in today's high performance recordable disk drives.
All products in the new EL691X LDD family incorporate a waveform generator, simplifying the design of multi-standard writable optical drives by integrating all of the timing and power control algorithms required into the device. Programming is accomplished through a serial interface port and the architecture allows reprogramming of the timing to support different media, DVD or CD standards, and different speeds. Programmable waveform values support 2.6 Gigabyte (GB) DVD-RAM, 4.7GB DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD, DVD, DVD-RW, CD-RW and CD-R.
Two analog inputs on each device in the EL691X family support slope and read adaptive power control (APC). An integrated high frequency modulator (HFM) oscillator is programmable to 100 milliamps peak-to-peak from 200 MHz to 500 MHz. Each device incorporates two laser outputs to support read/write DVD and CD combinations and offers 100-picosecond (psec) timer resolution.
EL691X Key Features
- 350mA maximum drive current
- 100 psec timer resolution
- Dual outputs support read /write DVD and CD combinations
- 8 X 8-bit multiplying DAC output (provides 8-bit full scale adjustment and 8-bit resolution)
- Programmable waveform values support DVD-RAM, DVD-R/RW, DVD䟴 and CD-R/RW
- Programmable High Frequency Modulator (HFM)
- Programmable HFM offset when HFM is off
- Two analog inputs support slope and read APC
- PLL allows reduced-frequency clock on flex cable
- Serial input works up to 100 MHz
- 38-pin leadless plastic package
Availability and Pricing
Intersil's Elantec EL6915 is available now in a 38-pin leadless plastic package for $3.80 each in 10,000-unit quantities. The EL6913/4/6/8/9 are now sampling and will be available in the third quarter for $3.80 each in 10,000-unit quantities.