Iomega Corporation (NYSE: IOM - News), a global leader in portable data storage, today debuted the first Iomega® Zip® drive with integrated FireWire® support for Mac and Windows at Apple Expo in Paris.
"The new Iomega Zip 750MB FireWire drive demonstrates Iomega's commitment to Mac customers, for whom FireWire is the acknowledged high-speed connection standard," said Werner Heid, president and CEO, Iomega Corporation. "The Zip 750MB FireWire drive offers Apple users more capacity and more speed while delivering the seamless and dependable functionality that Mac users appreciate -- plug-and-play convenience, host power, superb software, and our famous rugged disk design to protect their critical data."
"Transferring data at up to 400Mbps, FireWire is the interface of choice for today's digital audio and video devices, as well as external hard drives and other high-speed peripherals," said Ron Okamoto, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Developer Relations. "FireWire's high bandwidth gives Iomega's new Zip 750MB drive the ability to run at blazing speeds that Mac users value."
Third Generation Zip Drive
The new Zip 750MB FireWire drive represents the third generation of the company's award-winning removable storage solution for small business, home, and enterprise users. Since the original Zip drive was introduced in March 1995, Iomega has shipped more than 48 million drives and 300 million disks, making the Zip platform one of the most popular and successful computer peripherals ever released.
Zip 750MB Drive Family
Iomega launched the Zip 750MB platform on August 15 with the Zip 750MB USB 2.0 drive. The Zip 750MB drive features triple the capacity and more than double the maximum transfer rate of the popular Zip 250MB drive, while remaining backwards compatible with Zip 250MB disks (read and write) and Zip 100MB disks (read only). The Zip 750MB FireWire drive includes integrated support for FireWire, an established cross-platform industry standard interface.
Key Zip 750MB Drive and Disk Features
- 7.5 MB/sec transfer rate (max.), the equivalent of 50x50x50x in CD-RW terms. Unlike conventional CD-RW drives, Zip drives perform equally whether they are reading, writing, or rewriting to a 750MB Zip disk.
- Durable Zip 750MB disks, preformatted and enclosed in a rigid plastic shell to protect data from the scratches that can ruin CD-R and CD-RW discs.
- Superior rewritable performance and ease of use with drag-and-drop file management. No setup and disc-closing processes like those required to burn CD-R discs.
- Password protection in firmware, a feature only available in Zip solutions, allowing users to "lock" the disk. Provides the ideal portable storage format for truly protecting highly confidential information.
- Iomega(R) Automatic Backup software, which provides the choice of scheduled or on-the-fly automatic backup of any designated folder or drive, and supports the protection of multiple file revisions.
- Iomega(R) Sync software, for Windows PCs, provides sophisticated synchronization of folders or drives across multiple PCs.
The Zip 750MB FireWire drive, now on display at Apple Expo in Paris, will be shipping worldwide by September 30 for a suggested retail price of $199.95 (U.S. pricing only). Zip 750MB disks, available in Kevlar blue, retail for a suggested price of $12.49 per disk in an 8-pack (U.S. pricing only).