MediaTek unveiled MediaTek Sensio, a 6-in-1 smartphone biosensor module which tracks heart rate information, blood pressure trends, peripheral oxygen saturation levels and more.
Available as an embedded module in smartphones, the MediaTek Sensio MT6381 uses optical, electrical and processing components. The customizable, compact solution uses light emitting diodes (LEDs) in conjunction with a light sensitive sensor to measure the absorption of red and infrared light by the user's fingertips. By touching a device's sensors and electrodes with your fingertips, MediaTek Sensio creates a closed loop between your heart and the biosensor to measure ECG and PPG waveforms.
Sensio delivers these six key health data points in about 60 seconds:
- Heart-rate - MediaTek Sensio measures heart beats per minute.
- Heart-Rate Variability - MediaTek Sensio measures variation in the time between heartbeats.
- Blood Pressure Trends - MediaTek Sensio measures blood pressure trends so users can see a range of data over a period of time.
- Peripheral Oxygen Saturation (SpO2) - MediaTek Sensio measures the amount of oxygen in the blood.
- Electrocardiography (ECG) - MediaTek Sensio measures the electrical activity of the heart over a period of time and displays it in graph form.
- Photoplethysmography (PPG) - MediaTek Sensio measures the change in volume of blood.
MediaTek Sensio MT6381 includes:
- Integrated R and IR LEDs for reflective PPG measurement + 1-channel ECG analog front-end
- Compact 6.8 mm x 4.93 mm x 1.2 mm OLGA 22-pin package
- Total External BOM: 4 caps + 2 electrodes
- I2C /SPI digital interface
MediaTek Sensio will be available beginning in early 2018.