At its Snapdragon Technology Forum, Qualcomm on Tuesday showcased Snapdragon PCs from Asus and HP, promising to
offer two-day battery life and always-on 4G connections while running Windows applications
Qualcomm's Snapdragon 835 Mobile PC Platform is featuring the Snapdragon X16 LTE modem meaning built-in 4G LTE cellular and Wi-Fi connectivity, and the familiarity of Windows 10. The Snapdragon 835 is essentially the same processor (inside popular phones like the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.
Qualcomm has on display a HP Envy x2 tablet and an Asus NovaGo ultrabook. The PCs are running Windows 10, and can run Windows applications, although they emulate non-UWP apps. The emulation should slow the performance but Qualcomm claims that these PCs will deliver 14 to 24 hours of constant use, interspersed with idle periods of "Connected Standby" time. Connected Standby is a new low-power state, in which your PC can be LTE or Wi-Fi connected depending on your location so it can connect with the cloud, provide notifications, listen and respond to your voice, and instantly turn on.
Obviously, these Qualcomm Windows devices are designed to be an extension of your smartphjone, offering connectivity and things like music, email, and some productivity.
Qualcomm released a list of the specs of each machine:
ASUS NovaGo (TP370QL) - $600
- 13.3-inch, 1920x1080 LED-lit panel
- Windows 10 S (free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro)
- 8.9mm-thin bezel with 78% screen-to-body ratio
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Mobile Processor (2.6GHz CPU clock rate, Adreno 540 710MHz)4GB / 6GB / 8GB 1866MHz LPDDR4x onboard
- 64GB / 128GB / 256GB UFS 2.0
- Qualcomm X16 modem (4x4 MIMO)
- 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A
- 1 x Audio jack: headphone / mic-in
- 1 x Combo Nano SIM (tray with needle)
- 1 x MicroSD card reader slot (supports up to 256GB)
- 1 x HDMI
- 1 x DC in
- Full-size backlit keyboard, with 1.4mm key travel
- Fingerprint sensor
- 2-speaker ASUS SonicMaster Premium stereo audio system with surround-sound effects
- Array microphone with Cortana voice-recognition support
- HD Camera (1280 x 720)
- 802.11ac (2x2 MIMO)
- Up to 22 hours battery life
- Over 30 days of modern standby
- 52Wh lithium-polymer battery
- Height: 1.49 cm (0.59 inches)
- Width: 31.6 cm (12.44 inches)
- Depth: 22.1 cm (8.7 inches)
- Weight: 1.39 kg (3.06 pounds)
HP Envy x2 2-in-1 PC
- 12.3-inch WUXGA+ (1920x1200) touch display panel
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Mobile PC Platform
- 8GB LPDDR4
- Up to 256GB
- Snapdragon X16 LTE modem
- Windows 10 S
- Up to 20 hours of battery life and up to 700 hours of connected standby.
These devices are expected to be available in Spring 2018
Kevin Lensing, corporate vice president and general manager of the client business unit at AMD, announced their collective work to bring Qualcomm Technologies modem technology to AMD's high-performance Ryzen processor platforms. AMD and Qualcomm Technologies hope to make it easy for global PC companies to create computing platforms with virtually always connected, Gigabit LTE speeds alongside the AMD Ryzen mobile processors' fast performance, fluid graphics rendering, and efficiency.
Alex Katouzian, senior vice president and general manager of mobile for Qualcomm Technologies, unveiled Qualcomm Technologies' next generation flagship mobile technology - the Snapdragon 845 Mobile Platform. The full unveiling of all the Snapdragon 845 Mobile Platform features and specs will take place tomorrow, Wednesday, December 6.
ES Jung, president and general manager of the foundry business, Samsung Electronics, confirmed Samsung Foundry will be the foundry for Snapdragon 845 as the companies continue to work together.
Xiaomi Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Lei Jun. Mr. Lei announced that Xiaomi's next flagship smartphone will be powered by Snapdragon 845.