Google announced a certification program for a new line of "Street View ready" 360-degree cameras, with 20 certified cameras set to launch this year to make it easier for users to capture and upload Street View imagery.
Street View mobile ready cameras can upload photos to Street View through a mobile app; auto-ready cameras are designed for cars; VR-ready devices capture geometry for VR content; and workflow-ready cameras feature tools for publishing to Street View accounts. Upcoming cameras from 18 manufacturers have been certified under the program so far, including products from Samsung, GoPro, and Matterport.
All approved 360 photos will meet the following criteria for image quality and connectivity:
- 14 mp or larger (5,300 x 2,650 px)
- 2:1 image aspect ratio
- No gaps in image around horizon
- No significant stitching errors
- Adequate detail in light/dark areas
- Sharpness: no motion blur, in focus
- No distracting effects or filters
- All connected 360 photos must maintain a clear line-of-sight
- Try shooting at 1 meter spacing indoors and every 3m outdoors
- To increase the chances that Google can later connect to your content, extend your collection to a street