"...Ricoh has developed and will soon release a new series of CD-R/RW drive packages to support the newest, fastest CD-RW 10X rewriting standard. The Ricoh ATAPI drive can record at 12X, rewrite at 10X and read at 32X, Ricoh's Disc Media and Systems-Center division (DMS-C) announced today at PC Expo.
Priced at $299, the MediaMaster package will be sold exclusively through the Ricoh DMS website ( http://www.ricohdms.com ). Timing for shipping and other details will be announced next month.
The package contains the MP7120A drive, general-purpose packet writing software (Prassi's abCD), and professional premastering/audio/backup software (Prassi's PrimoCD Plus), one Ricoh CD-R disc and one Ricoh high speed CD-RW disc. Other major features and benefits include:
1. High speed writing, rewriting and reading capabilities
- Rewritability at up to 10X speed. This is more than twice as fast as the previous highest speed (4X).
- An increased laser output combined with a high-precision pulse strategy, provides high reliability recording on CD-R media across speeds ranging from 2X to 12X.
- Reading capability at up to 32X speed is possible with all three types of media: CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW.
- A newly developed compact, light-weight pickup module provides stable write operation while enabling access at the unprecedented speed of 120 msec.
- A newly developed, high-speed controller, LSI provides superior packet writing performance through speedy, efficient buffer memory utilization.
2. High-reliability design optimizes write stability
- A running OPC sets the optimum laser power continuously during write operation.
- A large, 4 MB memory buffer for temporary storage of data during write operation prevents buffer under-run errors and increases the speed and security of high-speed recording.
- Dust-proofing measures; such as, shielding of the pickup ensure a long stable operating life.
3. A full-featured audio capability
- Equipped with SPDI/F terminals, the MP7120A is capable of outputting digital audio data.
- Audio data can be read at up to 32X speed (DAE), allowing high speed creation of WAV files.
4. Easy vertical Installation
- It has increased degree of installation flexibility because it comes with a disc-holding function that allows the unit to be installed vertically as well as horizontally..."