Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) says that the PlayStation 4 has cumulatively sold through more than 10 million units worldwide as of August 10, 2014. In addition, Sony announced new game titles and the System Software Update 2.0 for the PS4.
At the Gamescom trade fair in Cologne, Germany, SCEE unveiled an update for the social hub at the heart of PS4 including a new feature called Share Play, which allows gamers to invite their friends to enjoy interactive gaming, whether it?s to help defeat a tricky section of gameplay or compete with each other.
A number of new exclusive games for PS4 were unveiled including the first party horror title Until Dawn and WiLD from Michel Ancel?s newly formed Wild Sheep studio. Other exclusive games unveiled included The Tomorrow Children from Q-Games, Alienation, from Housemarque and Tearaway Unfolded, a reimagining of the PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) title.
A variety of fresh new titles were also unveiled for PS4, including, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter from The Astronauts, Hollow Point, Rune Master both from Paradox Interactive, Hell Blade from Ninja Theoryand PT from 7780s.
Away from software, Sony also announced plans to expand its PlayStation ecosystem throughout Europe, with the PlayStation Now beta due to hit the UK in 2015, as well as the announcement of the European and PAL territories launch for PlayStation TV for just €99, on the 14th November.
As part of PlayStation's commitment to The Players, this year's conference burst out of the blocks, before Jim Ryan took to the stage, with updates on big titles from SCE WWS all available over the next six months:
- inFamous: First Light - the upcoming standalone expansion to inFamous: Second Son
- Ready at Dawn's cinematic masterpiece - The Order: 1886
- LittleBigPlanet3-? which showed off the exciting Create potential for SackBoy and his new friends
- And a dynamic first gameplay reveal for the new franchise from industry legend Hidetaka Miyazaki and his studio FROM Software, Bloodborne.
- Dylan Cuthbert of the Q-Games took to the stage to kick off this deluge of exciting titles by offering a first glimpse at their fantastical new game The Tomorrow Children
- It was announced that indie favourite The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was headed to PS4
- Mike Bithell, independent game developer and creator of the Thomas Was Alonen introduced a new video for his latest work, Volume, coming to PS4 later this year
- Two new titles were announced as coming first to PS4 from Paradox - Hollow Point and Rune Master
- Dean Hall, from Bohemia Interactive announced that Zombie-survival sensation Day-Z was coming to PS4
- Hell Blade, by Ninja Theory was announced to be coming first to PS4
SCEE showcased the range of partnerships across the entire gaming spectrum:
- Eric Hirschberg, CEO of Activision Publishing and Jonty Barnes of legendary game creators Bungie showcased the latest trailer for Destiny, featuring multiplayer action on an epic scale
- A partnership with Warner Bros. Interactive will offer PS4 players exclusive content for the upcoming action adventure title Shadows of Mordor, launching later this year
- Alex Hutchinson, creative director at Ubisoft, demonstrated the vast opportunities available to players using the Keys to Kyrat mechanic, making its debut in Far Cry 4
- Hideo Kojima, Head of Kojima Productions, came on stage to unveil an unusual and light hearted view of his next blockbuster game Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
- A playable teaser for PT is also now available to download exclusively from the PS Store