Friday, August 18, 2017
Search
  
Submit your own News for
inclusion in our Site.
Click here...
Breaking News
Google Home Now Supports Free Calls
Asus Unveils the ZenFone 4 Pro, ZenFone 4, ZenFone 4 Selfie Pro, and ZenFone 4 Selfie
Nokia 8 Shipped With ZEISS Optics
Apple is Getting Serious in TV Shows and Film Prospect
Acer's New 4K Projectors Bring the Benefits of Cinema Home
Fiat Chrysler Joins BMW, Intel, Mobileye in Autonomous Driving Team
Kingston Adds Lower 4GB and 8GB Capacities to DataTraveler 2000 Encrypted USB
Intel Ice Lake Architecture Will Find its Way to 10nm+ Chips
Active Discussions
Which of these DVD media are the best, most durable?
How to back up a PS2 DL game
Copy a protected DVD?
roxio issues with xp pro
Help make DVDInfoPro better with dvdinfomantis!!!
menu making
Optiarc AD-7260S review
cdrw trouble
 Home > News > Mobiles > Attorne...
Last 7 Days News : SU MO TU WE TH FR SA All News

Saturday, December 14, 2013
Attorney General Requests Information From Wireless Carriers On Decision To Reject Anti-Theft Technology


New York Attorney General earlier this week sent letters to the chief executive officers of U.S. wireless carriers seeking information regarding their decision to prohibit Samsung from pre-loading an opt-out "kill switch" application on approved smartphones.

The letter by Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman was sent to US wireless carriers - Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, United States Cellular Corporation.

The "kill switch" application had been proposed by Samsung for its Galaxy Note 3 smartphone. It would enable legitimate smartphone users to "brick" their stolen phones remotely and render them permanently inoperable when they fall into the wrong hands.

As co-chair of the Secure Our Smartphones (S.O.S.) Initiative Schneiderman has been leading an international coalition of prosecutors, police chiefs, attorneys general, public officials and consumer activists in pushing phone manufacturers and carriers to roll out anti-theft technology immediately, to remove the economic incentives behind smartphone thefts.

"For the past six months, the Secure Our Smartphone Initiative has called on the industry to put safety before profits and stop this violent epidemic. Considering this, it's disturbing that the nation's leading smartphone carriers knowingly dismissed technology that could save lives," Attorney General Schneiderman said. "My office will determine whether these companies allowed their business relationships to influence their ability to take immediate action against theft."

Samsung described the press reports on this issue as "unfair," adding that the company was making proposals to implement a specific technical solution. Samsung says it continues discussions with each of the carriers to evaluate a different kill switch solution and that they have confirmed they will support "a free and secure kill switch application."

"We will continue to work with them and with the Secure Our Smartphones initiative to find an effective solution that addresses this critical issue," Samsung said.

Schneiderman is requesting that all the carriers provide a detailed explanation of their decision to reject Samsung's proposal and any other kill-switch technologies. Their replies are due to the Attorney General's Office by December 31, 2013.




Previous
Next
Nokia Sends Lumia Phone Gift To Galaxy Owner That Saw His Smartphone Smoked During Charging        All News        Valve SteamOS Beta Available for Download
Nokia Sends Lumia Phone Gift To Galaxy Owner That Saw His Smartphone Smoked During Charging     Mobiles News      Google Removes Privacy Feature From Android

Get RSS feed Easy Print E-Mail this Message

Most Popular News
 
Home | News | All News | Reviews | Articles | Guides | Download | Expert Area | Forum | Site Info
Site best viewed at 1024x768+ - CDRINFO.COM 1998-2017 - All rights reserved -
Privacy policy - Contact Us .