The market of mobile devices has exploded creating a market for over two billion processors, according to a new reportreleased by Jon Peddie Research (JPR).
According to the report:
- Over three quarters of a billion smartphones will ship in 2016
- Feature and other phones will hit 869 million units in 2016
- Almost 300 million tablets will ship in 2016
- E-book readers shipments could reach 100 million a year by 2016
- Handheld game consoles will hit 91 million by 2016
The processors powering these devices will be consuming remarkably little
power, built in the latest nanometer technology, and delivering very high
performance and functionality.
"And although all of the devices will share some functionality and
capabilities, no single device will kill any of the others ... at least
immediately," JPR claims. "Each device will have a different form, primary
function, and price. All will be connected all the time, and most will have
3D displays and cameras."
More than 16 processor companies and 4 IP suppliers, will be chasing this
market. Compared to the four or five processor companies chasing the PC
market that makes the mobile processor market over populated by four-to-one.