Friday, January 30, 2015
Search
  
Submit your own News for
inclusion in our Site.
Click here...
Breaking News
AT&T, Verizon Among Winners Of US Airwaves Auction
Apple Closes the Gap on Samsung Fourth Quarter's Worldwide Smartphone Shipments
Verizon To Let USers Opt Out Supercookies
Microsoft Outlines Windows 10 Options For The Enterprise
Jolla Tablet Returns to Indiegogo With A 64GB Version
BT Sees Ultrafast Broadband Not Coming Earlier Than 2025
Google To Change Privacy Policy After UK's Watchdog Investigation
HDDs Shipments Increased In 2014
Active Discussions
Writing Audio files on DVDs ?
Need major help with Gigabeat
New match-3 puzzle game launch now!
Rimage 2000i
Sound card for my Laptop
hello
full screen wide screen
Hi
 Home > News > General Computing > Murdoch...
Last 7 Days News : SU MO TU WE TH FR SA All News

Thursday, July 07, 2011
Murdoch Closes News of the World


Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. will close its tabloid News of the World after this Sunday's edition, as a result of an escalating phone hacking scandal, News International announced on Thursday.

News International Limited publishes The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun and News of the World.

The company announced that this Sunday, 10 July 2011, will be the last issue of the News of the World, the 168-year old newspaper.



"I have important things to say about the News of the World and the steps we are taking to address the very serious problems that have occurred," said James Murdoch, Deputy Chief Operating Officer, News Corporation, and Chairman, News International.

"The good things the News of the World does, however, have been sullied by behaviour that was wrong. Indeed, if recent allegations are true, it was inhuman and has no place in our Company. The News of the World is in the business of holding others to account. But it failed when it came to itself," he added.

News Corporation has been rocked in the last week by claims that its best-selling Sunday tabloid hacked in to the phones of relatives of British soldiers killed in action, of missing children and those caught up in the July 2005 London bombings.

"In 2006, the police focused their investigations on two men. Both went to jail. But the News of the World and News International failed to get to the bottom of repeated wrongdoing that occurred without conscience or legitimate purpose.

Wrongdoers turned a good newsroom bad and this was not fully understood or adequately pursued," Murdoch said. "As a result, the News of the World and News International wrongly maintained that these issues were confined to one reporter. We now have voluntarily given evidence to the police that I believe will prove that this was untrue and those who acted wrongly will have to face the consequences," he added.

Murdoch also said that paper made statements to Parliament without being in the full possession of the facts. "This was wrong," he said, although he admitted that his company had paid out-of-court settlements approved by him.

"I now know that I did not have a complete picture when I did so. This was wrong and is a matter of serious regret."

Murdoch added his company has already settled a number of prominent cases and set up a Compensation Scheme, with cases to be adjudicated by former High Court judge Sir Charles Gray.

In addition, the company has decided that all of the News of the World?s revenue this weekend will go to "good causes."


Previous
Next
ISPs Agree On "Six-Stikes" Policy For Illegal Downloaders        All News        eBay to Acquire Zong
ISPs Agree On "Six-Stikes" Policy For Illegal Downloaders     General Computing News      eBay to Acquire Zong

Get RSS feed Easy Print E-Mail this Message

Most Popular News
 
Home | News | All News | Reviews | Articles | Guides | Download | Expert Area | Forum | Site Info
Site best viewed at 1024x768+ - CDRINFO.COM 1998-2015 - All rights reserved -
Privacy policy - Contact Us .