Yahoo today introduced new Search enhancements that will help users get to the entertainment and news content they care about on all connected devices.
"Our goal is to understand what people care about and to make it fun for them to explore the most personally relevant, interesting, and informative content so that they can get things done faster and stay in the know," said Shashi Seth, senior vice president, Yahoo Search and Marketplaces.
"Yahoo's new immersive Search is a cornerstone of the overall Yahoo experience, creating more ways to connect people with whatever and whoever interests them."
To start using the new enhancements, go to Yahoo.com and search for topics such as "Lady Gaga" or "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps." The features include 3D multifaceted results and tools that let people:
- Cut to the chase - Intelligent shortcuts for movies, musical artists, celebrities and news topics organize the most important details such as images, articles, videos, tweets, event listings, and ratings. They also provide quick ways to purchase movie or concert tickets while searching.
- Find favorite movies and TV shows - The first in a series of unique "quick apps" from Yahoo Search, a new Web app for Netflix provides an easy way for Netflix members to add DVDs to their Queue right from the Search results page. Additionally, members can start to instantly watch movies and TV shows with one click on the app?s "play" button.
- Watch what's happening now - The company is helping people feed their curiosity by displaying image slideshows right above the standard results for interesting topics from Yahoo?s Trending Now lists on Yahoo.com and elsewhere.
- Lean back and browse more pictures - A new Yahoo Image Search delivers engaging slideshows with public photos from Flickr and Yahoo?s content sites, as well as the ability for people to view personally public Facebook albums from friends when they sign-in and connect their Yahoo accounts to Facebook.
- Search on the go - Android and iPhone users can now get faster, more sophisticated Search results, thanks to the latest HTML5 technology. Rich content on entertainment, finance, and local topics is surfaced in more unique ways for high-end mobile devices.
Today's new Search experiences throughout the Yahoo network, along with echnology enhancements and quality improvements for rich local and shopping searches, all supplement organic algorithmic Search listings from the recently transitioned Microsoft search platform, Yaoo said.
New features began rolling out to Search users across the U.S. today, and Yahoo expects to launch them for additional global markets in 2011.