Skype today announced the release of Skype for Android, a client for mobile handsets, built for smartphones running Android OS version 2.1 or above.
With this latest release, the majority of smart phone users globally will now be able to experience the benefits of Skype on the move using either a WiFi or mobile data connection (GPRS, EDGE, 3G) . Skype for Android is downloadable for free from the Android Market or consumers can visit www.skype.com/m to find out more details about how to get the application.
Skype for Android enables users to:
- Make free Skype-to-Skype calls over WiFi or mobile data connection (GPRS, EDGE, 3G) to other Skype users anywhere in the world using Skype?s SILK codec for CD-like audio quality.
- Make low rate Skype calls to landline or mobile phones
- Send and receive instant messages to one or a group of friends on Skype
- Synchronize contacts between Skype and the native address book and after synchronization place Skype calls directly from the native address book.
- See when Skype contacts are online and available to call or chat
- Easily import names and numbers to the Skype application from the native address book
- Receive calls on their Skype online number