Yahoo today expanded the reach of its services with the immediate availability of Yahoo Mail and Yahoo Messenger apps for Android as well as a Yahoo Search Widget for Android.
Leveraging the latest HTML5 technology, Yahoo is also debuting faster and richer Yahoo Mail and Yahoo News sites for iPhone and iPod Touch.
The Yahoo Mail and Yahoo Messenger Android apps are available globally as free downloads available in the Android Market, supporting OS 2.0 or newer.
With the new Yahoo Mail App for Android, consumers can:
- Receive push notification of new email messages
- Send emails to contacts from the Yahoo Address Book as well as to contacts in the native phone address book
- Search email messages by sender, recipient, subject and keywords
- Upload photos as attachments directly from the phone's camera or the photo gallery
- View and download attachments
- Insert emoticons and rich text formatting into emails
- Manage and organize their Yahoo Mail messages, folders, and spam
- Easily toggle between the Yahoo Mail and Yahoo Messenger apps
In addition, the Yahoo Mail app for Android offers advertisers an opportunity to reach the mobile audience.
With the new Yahoo Messenger App for Android, consumers can:
- Message friends, check friends' status updates and availability and update their personal status and availability
- Send instant messages to friends via SMS text message - Multitask and stay connected with the app working in the background; with push notifications, consumers can easily catch new messages and friend requests
- Get full use of emoticons and rich text formatting
- Send photos to friends directly from the phone's camera or the photo gallery
Also available today, the Yahoo Search Widget for Android provides consumers with one-click access to Yahoo Search. After the Widget is installed, a Yaho Search box is easily accessible on the home screen. It features voice search for easier input, Search Assist for quick suggestions and recommendations, and auto-locate technology to deliver locally relevant results.
The Yahoo Search Widget is currently available in the U.S. only for free. It is available for download in the Android Market and supports OS 2.0 or newer.
Both Yahoo Mail and Yahoo News are also now built on HTML5.
With HTML5 Yahoo! Mail consumers can:
- View HTML messages; compose rich text messages, reply, search emails, and access folders while offline
- Manage folders and create smart folders with messages from key contacts
- Surface photos and video attachments directly within the mail preview
- Enjoy a seamless experience with Yahoo Mail across mobile and desktop
Additionally, now Yahoo News includes an all-new layout with animated visual effects and navigation that uses touch gestures. Yahoo brings the news to life with photos, slideshows, and video features, and provides consumers with an option to explore related articles. Currently available in the U.S. on the iPhone or iPod Touch browser, the product is expected to become available in additional countries and on additional devices.