Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced that six major movie studios will offer high definition (HD) movies for purchase and rental on the PlayStation Network video delivery service in the United States.
These studios are 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Universal Pictures, and Warner Bros. Digital Distribution . PlayStation Network is the first to offer high definition movies for purchase from all of the major movie studios.
At launch, the content will be available in the U.S. only, with plans to launch soon in the U.K., France, Germany, and Spain, Sony said.
New titles available today on PlayStation Network include:
- 20th Century Fox ? "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian", "Jennifer's Body" and "Fantastic Mr. Fox" (on March 23)
- Walt Disney Pictures ? Disney Pixar's "Up", Jerry Bruckheimer's "G-Force" and Disney's "Earth"
- Paramount Pictures ? "Star Trek", "Paranormal Activity" and "Zoolander"
- Sony Pictures ? "This Is It", "2012", "District 9" and "Zombieland"
- Universal ? "Inglourious Basterds", "Couples Retreat" and "Public Enemies"
- Warner Bros. Digital Distribution - "The Hangover", "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" and "The Wizard of Oz"
PlayStation Network currently offers standard-definition movie rentals starting at $2.99 (catalog) and movie purchases starting at $9.99.
Last October, Netflix made its movie and TV show streaming service available to subscribers who own a PlayStation 3.