WD today introduced its new WD ShareSpace high-speed network storage systems that provide cost-effective, centralized storage for small office and home networks.
Traditionally, available only in large companies with big IT departments, centralized storage helps businesses improve collaboration, while protecting their digital assets. The WD ShareSpace storage systems now bring those large-company benefits to small offices in an easy-to-set-up, small-footprint design. The 4-bay storage systems with Gigabit Ethernet (GigE) interface provide up to 4 TB of storage capacity and multiple RAID configurations.
Small offices and workgroups often employ cumbersome methods for sharing data, either by sending large files via e-mail or by sharing thumb drives. WD ShareSpace network-attached storage systems make it simple for small offices and workgroups to centralize storage for easy accessibility - both within the network and remotely via WD's MioNet remote Web access service.
Home users can connect the WD ShareSpace system to their home network to centralize their media collections and access them from anywhere in their home. The included iTunes server capability allows users to play their music on any Mac or PC using iTunes software.
With the included WD Anywhere Backup software, multiple users can simplify and automate a continuous backup. With WD Anywhere Backup software, users choose specific files or folders for backup during the set-up process. Any changes or additions made to those files or folders will be updated and backed up automatically.
Price and Availability
WD ShareSpace network storage systems are offered in capacities of 2 TB and 4 TB and are available now at select retailers and WD's online store (www.wdc.com). MSRP for the WD ShareSpace storage system with 2 TB is $699.99 USD MSRP for the WD ShareSpace storage system with 4 TB is $999.99 USD.
The WD ShareSpace systems offer multiple RAID configurations for data protection and speed: RAID 0 (Striped), RAID 1 (Mirrored) and RAID 5. The RAID 5 mode, only available on the 4 TB system, is the recommended mode to achieve both high performance and data protection through redundancy.
Automatic Backup Software
Small office and home network users can use the software included with the WD ShareSpace network storage system to automatically and continuously back up their networked computers. The mirroring capability offered in RAID 1 (mirrored) and RAID 5 modes provides users the added assurance of a redundant backup of their data.
Cooler, quieter, eco-friendlier
With WD's GreenPower drive technology inside, this system consumes as much as 33 percent less power than standard systems, is reliably cool and remarkably quiet.
The new high-speed network storage systems feature:
- A small-footprint, 4-bay storage system that takes up very little space and provides plenty of storage to go around
- GigE connectivity with data transfer rates up to one gigabit per second when used in a GigE network
- RAID 0/1/5 capabilities for data protection and speed
- WD's unique MioNet remote Web access service (for PC and Mac) that lets users access the drive from anywhere
- Automatic and continuous network backup software including licenses to back up 3 computers
- E-mail alert system that monitors drive and system health and sends you an e-mail if a problem is detected
- Microsoft Active Directory directory service support
- Plug a USB drive into the front-mounted USB 2.0 port and push a button to transfer automatically all the data on the drive to the WD ShareSpace system
- Equipped with WD drives using WD GreenPower technology, this system, with its efficient cooling architecture and power saving mode, consumes up to 33 percent less power2 and is reliably cool and quiet
- Download manager that supports scheduled downloads through FTP and HTTP
- iTunes server
- Windows Vista operating system ready
- Built-in FTP server
- 3 USB 2.0 ports
- 3-year limited warranty.