Today at the GSMA Mobile World Congress, AMD announced an expanded portfolio of products and technologies to enable media-rich applications as mobile TV, 3D games and high-fidelity audio.
"Today's mobile consumers demand devices and services capable of providing outstanding entertainment. AMD is committed to enabling advanced graphical interfaces that deliver The Ultimate Visual Experience on the go," said Adrian Hartog, senior vice president and general manager of AMD?s Consumer Electronics Group. "Our latest handheld technologies allow AMD to better address new and emerging applications, such as 3D gaming and mobile TV, as well as satisfy today's consumers who crave portable music players and full-function touch-screen mobile phones."
The latest technology offerings are based on the family of AMD Imageon processors and include:
- AMD Imageon D160 mobile TV solution, a hardware and software package that will enable OEMs to design mobile devices that receive over-the-air broadcast TV signals transmitted in the DVB-T and DVB-H standards. This antenna-to-display solution also will enable mobile TV functionality to be designed in a USB-powered device for watching live television on notebook PCs, PDAs, portable media players and other USB-enabled handheld devices.
- AMD Imageon M210 audio processor is designed to enable a high-definition, fully integrated audio subsystem capable of delivering more than 100 hours of music playback in airplane mode. This new audio processor can be used in both multi-function, mainstream mobile phones and portable music players.
- AMD Imageon A250 application processor for feature phones will combine AMD?s latest multimedia technology for video recording and playback, photo imaging, and high-resolution displays, while maintaining long system battery life.
- Graphics To Go. AMD to deliver graphics to consumers everywhere by licensing intellectual property (IP) to mobile chipset suppliers.
AMD announced several IP deals during the past year as part of this business.
- AMD Z180 OpenVG 1.x graphics core is hardware-accelerated native vector graphics solution, ideal for advanced user interfaces, navigational systems and portable devices optimized for animation and Flash-style content.
- AMD Z460 OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics core delivers programmable shader models for realistic 3D graphics.
New AMD handheld technology will be available for OEMs and silicon supplier licensees to sample beginning this month. Features enabled by these new products and technologies are expected to start appearing in mobile devices in late 2008 and 2009.