LG.Philips LCD will showcase its new suite of TFT-LCDs for HDTVs, deskop monitors, digital information displays and other applications during FPD International 2005 in Yokohama, Japan.
Shown for the first time in Japan, LG.Philips LCD's 47-, 42- and 37-inch wide full high definition (1920 x 1080, two megapixels) TFT-LCDs for true HDTVs and multimedia displays. These panels all feature a viewing angle of 178 degrees, a 1600:1 dynamic contrast ratio, a maximum brightness of 600 cd/m2, a gray-to-gray response time of 8 ms and a high color gamut of 90 percent. The company will also show its award winning 55-inch TFT-LCD for full HDTVs. These demonstrations further support the company's efforts to set the industry standard flat panel TV sizes of 26-, 32-, 37-, 42-, 47- and 55-inches, and all feature LG.Philips LCD's Super IPS technology, enabling the widest viewing angles and less color shift.
A Glimpse of What's Yet to Come
A sampling of LG.Philips LCD's LCD prototype demonstrations, featuring new technologies for LCD TVs, includes:
- 47-inch full HD LCD TV featuring a lower power LED backlight which delivers higher color gamut;
- 42-inch LCD for HDTV with an impressive motion picture response time of 5 ms;
- 42-inch 12 bit LCD for HDTV with 64 billion colors;
- 32-inch hybrid backlight LCD, featuring a mixture of LED and CCFL backlights that significantly reduce overall power consumption and increase color gamut;
- 23-inch ultra slim WUXGA LCD for monitors with improved color gamut due to new phosophor CCFL;
- 10.1-inch flexible e-book display, the largest flexible active matrix display, jointly developed in conjunction with E-ink.
Digital Information Displays
At FPD International, LG.Philips LCD will show 55-, 47- and 42-inch Full HD (resolution of 1920 x 1080) digital information displays.
David Choi, LG.Philips LCD's VP of Product Strategy, will present, "The Era of LCD: TFT-LCDs as the Display of Choice for the Digital Age," during session B-6, on Friday, October 21. In his presentation, Choi will discuss how the TFT-LCD industry is driving the flat panel market by supplying the growing demand for larger, wider, and higher resolution computer monitors and flat TVs to prepare for coming full HD era.
LG.Philips LCD will also deliver several key presentations during the show, including:
- "TFT-LCD with LED Backlight--Realizing 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio by New Driving Method," Mr. E.Y. Oh, chief research engineer of LG.Philips LCD's Anyang R&D Center, during session E-1 on October 19.
- "LCD Technologies for TV Application," Mr. C.H. Oh, senior manager of LG.Philips LCD's TV development division, during session C-5 on October 21.
FPD International will be held at the Pacifico Yokohama from October 19 through 21 in Yokohama, Japan.