Nikon announced two new cameras to its hobbyist and professional digital SLR camera product line, the
D50s and the D70s.
The D50s is aimed at those looking to step to a digital SLR cameras, while the D70s
is the successor to Nikon's popular D70 camera.Nikon called the D50s its smallest, lightest, and easiest to use digital SLR camera. SLR cameras use
detachable lenses, and are more complex, but offer substantially better image quality and performance,
than fixed-lens consumer digital cameras.
The company said the D50s was designed to appeal to "the
broadest range of consumers," especially those looking to enter the digital SLR market for the first time.
The Nikon D50s
The 6.1 megapixel camera offers enough image data for even large prints, and features shutter speeds from
30 seconds to 1/4,000 second. The camera is built on Nikon's DX specification, meaning it can accept the
full range of DX Nikkor lenses.
The camera ships with a F-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED lens for US$899.95, and it will be
available in June, 2005.
The Nikon D70s
This camera is the successor to the D70, and adds a bigger display, a new menu, new ports, and more.
Like the D50s, it is a 6.1 megapixel camera, with higher-performance that is aimed at the prosumer and
Nikon listed the new features as follows:
- A refined 5-area autofocus system now has an all-area search priority to go along with the camera's single
area, dynamic area, and close subject priorities, improving the camera's ability to acquire focus on fast
moving subjects within the frame.
- The camera now boasts a larger 2.0" LCD monitor, making it easier for users to review images and access
- A new remote port for the MC-DC1 electronic cable release (optional) allows users to trigger the camera
and hold the shutter open via an electronic cable release
- A built-in Speedlight with a wider angle of coverage, supports 18mm lenses.
- A new easier-to-read menu design in the D70s uses color-coded menus, and a larger type-face.
- A higher capacity EN-EL3a battery offers users more pictures per charge. The EN-EL3a battery comes
with a new, smaller MH-18a battery charger. Both the new battery and charger are included with the D70s.
You can find more information at Nikon