CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

NEC ND-3520A runs way too fast on playback   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1261 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> NEC ND-3520A runs way too fast on playback Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NEC ND-3520A runs way too fast on playback - 2/4/2005 7:15:23 PM   
megalomando

Hi,

I just installed a NEC ND-3520A and while playing back media it runs too fast and is loud. The CD when played turns much faster than my old Pioneer A105 and is disturbing but when I play a DVD it sounds to be running at top speed throughout playback.

CD played with the latest winamp
DVD with Power DVD
Win XP SP2

It makes watching a DVD on the computer a royal pain because of the background whine of the full speed of the NEC.

Is there someway to make it play at the proper speed & no faster?

I did not flash to the modified firmware because I read that that made the drive noisier. The version of firmware in this is the stock 1.04

Thanks,

MM
Post #: 1
RE: NEC ND-3520A runs way too fast on playback - 2/4/2005 7:37:18 PM   
decx

Noise is quite normal for optical drives. However in general some brands are consistently more noisy than other like NEC and Liteon. However for the official firmware for most drives there isn't much you can do about it unless the program you're using is capable of limiting drive read speed.

(in reply to megalomando)
Post #: 2
RE: NEC ND-3520A runs way too fast on playback - 2/4/2005 7:46:30 PM   
megalomando

The A105 never was really heard on playback. It seems to be an issue with this particular drive. It's without a doubt the very loudest drive on playback I have had ever & I've had CD-r drives from the first ones made.

Seems like there must be a way to make it playback audio CD & video DVD without running at fullspeed.

MM

(in reply to decx)
Post #: 3
RE: NEC ND-3520A runs way too fast on playback - 2/5/2005 2:14:34 PM   
decx

Well your A105 was quiet because Pioneer designed them to be. NECs are the other hand are just noisy, but not as bad as Liteons which sounds like a drill when it's running at full speed.

As for limiting speed, I guess it's possible if you manage to get someone to make a custom firmware for you that implements something like a riplock on all media reads.

(in reply to megalomando)
Post #: 4
RE: NEC ND-3520A runs way too fast on playback - 2/5/2005 3:32:33 PM   
decx

Actually, after some searching, found something which may interest you:
http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=32119&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=167t+163

(in reply to decx)
Post #: 5
RE: NEC ND-3520A runs way too fast on playback - 2/5/2005 8:32:04 PM   
sinbad

Pioneer now has a write speed of 4 x and 2.4X regular 4.7 has a 16X, 32Xon the write CD, 24 on the RW and read speed is 40X oh joy it my birthday present to me.
I also bought a Canon 390 MF with 48 bit scanner and FAX 33.8Kps a bit higher than the 14 that was the norm a few years ago. Now the cockpit and the speedy Jet fits me like a everloving glove

Sinbad the speedy sailer of the 7 seas

(in reply to decx)
Post #: 6
RE: NEC ND-3520A runs way too fast on playback - 2/5/2005 9:02:08 PM   
decx

quote:

ORIGINAL: sinbad
FAX 33.8Kps a bit higher than the 14 that was the norm a few years ago. Now the cockpit and the speedy Jet fits me like a everloving glove

That's no speedy jet, 33.6Kbps modems are more like a single engine Cessna now . And oh, 14.4 modems arn't really the norm a few years ago.... they were the norm over 10 years ago . Now the Pioneer is a different story...

(in reply to sinbad)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> NEC ND-3520A runs way too fast on playback Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI