CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

World’s Smallest Linux Board Saga Continues !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1748 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> World’s Smallest Linux Board Saga Continues ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
World’s Smallest Linux Board Saga Continues ! - 2/2/2005 8:40:58 AM   
LinuxMarshall

Now this is a tiny Linux computer! Alright, so it is actually using embedded Linux. It is still pretty darn small though! If you stop to think about it, the possibilities with this and other similar devices are almost limitless. As to how far the technology behind the WildFire goes - only time will tell.

Intec Automation is shipping a $200 credit-card sized SBC (single-board computer) small enough to embed in actuators and tight enclosures, yet powerful enough to run uClinux. The SteriodMicros WildFire microcontroller is based on a 64MHz ColdFire processor, and targets industrial control and automation.

The WildFire measures 2.9 x 2.3 inches (7.4 x 5.8cm) -- about 38 percent larger in surface area than the "world's smallest Linux SBC," the 3.2 x 1.3 inch (82 x 33mm) SSV DNP/5282, which is based on the same chip. Unlike the gumstick-shaped SSV SBC, however, the WildFire needs no carrier board, instead offering a porcupine's worth of pins for ribbon cable connectors enabling direct attachment of a variety of real-world I/O.

Intec says that in producing the WildFire it is "banking on Linux making inroads into control and automation, a field [that], up until now, [has been] dominated by platforms with a plethora of I/O to interface with the real world, but insufficient resources to run Linux."

Source : LockerGnome
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> World’s Smallest Linux Board Saga Continues ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI