CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Sun Releases Solaris 10 For Free !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1231 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Sun Releases Solaris 10 For Free ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sun Releases Solaris 10 For Free ! - 2/1/2005 6:52:46 PM   
LinuxMarshall

Sun Microsystems has fulfilled its pledge to make its newest version of the Solaris operating system available for free.

On Monday evening, the server and software company began offering Solaris 10 as a free download for those who register. Anyone may use Solaris for commercial or noncommercial use, and Sun will supply security fixes as they're released, but those wanting bug fixes and support must sign a support contract with Sun.

Solaris 10 is a crucial part of the company's attempt to fend off Linux and Windows and to maintain leadership against its two main Unix rivals, IBM's AIX and Hewlett-Packard's HP-UX. Elements of the attempt include major technological upgrades, the no-charge licensing, and an effort to build an open-source community that helps Sun develop the software.

Sun sells support on an annual subscription basis for servers with up to four processors, charging $120 per computer processor per year for basic support, $240 for standard and $360 for premium. Automatic retrieval of security fixes for all users through a service called the Sun Update Connection will be available mid-2005, Sun said.

Sun believes making the software free and open-source will draw new customers, developers and business partners to the Solaris ecosystem. The OpenSolaris project will provide full source code in the second quarter, Sun said in January.
Read more...

Source : CNET News
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Sun Releases Solaris 10 For Free ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI