CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Norway Rules MP3 Linking Is Illegal !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 723 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Norway Rules MP3 Linking Is Illegal ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Norway Rules MP3 Linking Is Illegal ! - 1/31/2005 9:24:33 AM   
SiliconFreak

Norway's bearded and wigged ones have thrown a live hand-grenade into the search engine industry by ruling that publishing hyperlinks of stolen MP3s on websites is as illegal as piracy.

The country’s Supreme Court has upheld a lower court's earlier ruling about a teenager named Frank Allan Bruvik who fell foul of Tono, the music industry's lobby group in Norway.

His site called napster.no allowed users to submit links to MP3 files. It soon became a list of links to MP3 files across the Web.

But as the site After Dawn comments, here, the Judges' ruling does set a somewhat strange precedent.

It means that in Norway, Google can be sued, closed down and its owners thrown into jail because it provides links to sites that distribute cracks, and illegal audio copies.

It will cost Bruvik a heap of money in fines, who knows what will happen to Google, Yahoo, and MSN?

Source : TheInquirer
Post #: 1
RE: Norway Rules MP3 Linking Is Illegal ! - 2/1/2005 4:30:34 PM   
Matthew

There is a difference between indexing everything found, as it would be impractical for the large search engines to exclude everything that there is some disagreement with, and they have fought bitterly to make such attempts futile.

Eg. the "Kazaa Lite" incident, where on beng forced to remove links to Kazaa Lite, they linked the material telling which links they had to remove.

Pure robot indexing needs to have immunity, or the increased workload would mean the only free searches would be for paid results.

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Norway Rules MP3 Linking Is Illegal ! - 2/1/2005 5:25:16 PM   
emperor

i also read the story about heise.de that warned to remove links to anydvd, i am wondering what the freedom of internet has become, a utopia?

(in reply to Matthew)
Post #: 3
RE: Norway Rules MP3 Linking Is Illegal ! - 2/1/2005 5:36:20 PM   
SiliconFreak

Yes, I believe that in a year or so...Internet freedom will move back from 21st century into Stone-age...Flintstones where are You?

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Norway Rules MP3 Linking Is Illegal ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI