CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 654 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW - 5/24/2003 5:53:18 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I'm a little confused. Your replacement UltraSpeed CD-RWs show a writing speed of 4x-10x ??? no wonder they aren't recognized as a CD-R/W! how can your burner come up with a write strategy!![xx(]

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 17
RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW - 5/24/2003 9:38:02 PM   
MP3Mogul

Yes that is what is read in the ATIP of the replacement discs, however, if you attempt to burn on one of them, no matter what burning software, each time when you press "WRITE" it ejects the media and says "PLEASE PUT A CDRW MEDIA IN THE DRIVE"

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 18
RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW - 5/25/2003 12:20:43 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

That sounds like a MAJOR botch up in the manufacturing! an HSCD-RW write strategy on a USCD-RW disc... maybe we know the problem with these discs now [:I]

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 19
RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW - 5/25/2003 5:39:59 AM   
MP3Mogul

I agree, it does sound like a manufacturing problem, maybe a "quality" issue. I have tested these discs over and over trying "every" type of buring software, on every type of OS that I have, and I get the same results each and every time, on 3 different types of burners. The conclusion that I come to is exactally the same as yours, this is a "botched" up batch of discs. I must say, further, that I am not "happy" that Yamaha tested these discs, and included in their firmware that these discs can write okay at 24X, I am sure they rushed this release, because of my "personal" email contact and phone contact with them, however, I'm not quite sure that I have the same discs that they have, as MY DISCS are not able to write above 16X. Anything above 16X completes normally, however the results are a total failure above this write speed.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 20
RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW - 5/25/2003 7:13:18 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Perhaps they aren't testing the burns thouroughly after it says the process completed... though I have a VERY hard time believing that Yamaha would do that...

This would be a good time for Mark "Memorex" to lend a hand I think...

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 21
RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW - 5/25/2003 7:15:01 PM   
MP3Mogul

That's why I am thinking that perhaps that batch of media is just bad. I will purchase some more next week and give another posting.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 22
RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW - 5/26/2003 2:42:49 PM   
rjw

Some points about the bad results.

Batch you bought could have manufactureing or storeing problems.(Yes this is possible with cd-rw's)
Yamaha was lazy and just tested if they could write the disc's. Not if they could actually read them back.

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 23
RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW - 5/26/2003 6:16:20 PM   
MP3Mogul

RJW: I agree, I think it's just a bad batch of discs. I don't think Yamaha would have testing writing and not reading when they had these discs for so long to test before releasing the firmware. I'm going out this week and get some more of these discs from a different place and test them.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 24
RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW - 6/9/2003 11:57:06 PM   
Notes

I just thought I'd say, in defense of Memorex.. I've used probably a dozen 5 packs of their 10x and 12x CDRWs and never had a problem.. Though I haven't had the opportunity to try their 24x yet.. we don't get stuff till it's just about obsolete here in Canadia..

I have found numerous issues resolved on a few different CDRW drives by doing firmware updates, though.

Just my 1 cent.

Cheers

The only true knowledge is in knowing that you know nothing.

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 25
RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW - 6/10/2003 12:58:30 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Notes: Where abouts are you in Canada? I know a place local to Vancouver B.C. that is selling 24x CD-RWs for $5.00 including taxes and levy, the only downside is they are Melody. I'm not sure who makes them, but probably not Infodisc, so they stand a good chance of being better then the Memorex ones. I haven't bought any since I can't use USCD-RWs on my LiteON 48125W...unless there is something about my drive I don't know about...

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 26
RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW - 6/10/2003 2:13:47 AM   
rabbit

all i'm saying is that i can buy Memorex where the manufacturer is a mystery or i can buy something like Verbatim where the manufacturer is Mitsubishi. for RWs, i will go with the sure thing in Mitsubishi.

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 27
RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW - 6/10/2003 6:07:19 AM   
MP3Mogul

I can say yes that I have used the Memorex 10X CD's OVER AND OVER, HUNDREDS of times, and NEVER had a single problem with them. These discs, like the Ultra Speed 24X ones, were produced by InfoDisc.

Of interest, one particular disc (of a large batch of these I have) I have written, erased (quick erase) and rewritten as an audio CD 427 times now (I have kept a talley on it) and it is still going strong!

I may have to make this a "HALL OF FAME" disc....

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 28
RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW - 7/7/2003 7:01:40 AM   
rks

Guys, but here goes my story. I am not fabricating this story up, this is has honestly happend to me, and I am very upset as to what has happend. I recently purchased a 5 pack of memorex high speed cdrws. I tried them one by one in my CDRW drive. The first three did not burn at all. I was a bit oustanded as to why this had happend. I thought that maybe my cdrw in my new computer was faulty. Afterall, I my other packs of memorex media had been writing strong, and I thought that Memorex was a quality brand. So i tried the CDRW's on my other computer still no go. At this point I was a bit confused, so for diganostic purposes, i had started to dry different media in my drive (lg 8400), including some memorex 4x CDRW media. All of my tests worked fine. At this point I thought that maybe I should try the remaing disks. The fouth disk essentially killed my drive. In Nero Burning ROM the disk actually passed by, and went into the actual writing stage. However, after the 1% mark, I realized that the burning problem showed some abnormal effects. Mainly, the drive appeared to be searching for something in the disk, it continuously made that noise for abotu two minutes. After the two minutes, Nero Burning Rom had gave me a whole slew of errors, telling me the burn process had failed. Among the errors, were 'illegal media' (I did not take note of the other errors the process noted. I thought that this was just a typical bad disk just like the others earlier to it. So i discared the errors. I then realized that my drive would no longer read any media wat so ever (I can eject the drive from windows still). Windows/Dos will detect that a drive is present, but the drive will not read any media present watsoever.

In short, Memorex's inferior cdrw killed my drive. Tommorow I will be contacting Memorex and see what they have to say.

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 29
RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW - 7/7/2003 2:16:45 PM   
MP3Mogul

They'll say something like this: It's not the media's fault. Perhaps, it's not, your drive could have already been weakened, and this unrecognized media (more than likely a firmware issue) finished the job off, after your cdrw drive could not recognize it.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 30
RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW - 7/7/2003 7:50:03 PM   
rks

hmm ic..

See the drive itself was high speed certified (had the highspped logo on it). Power to its failure, I was getting a lot of power calibration errors when using that media.

Whatever the case maybe, I dont think its too big of a problem, the system is in warranty and I am going to be sent a new cd rw soon...
Kinda scary to see what one disc can do...

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 31
RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW - 7/7/2003 8:49:19 PM   
MP3Mogul

This doesn't mean that there is something wrong with your drive at all! It only means that the firmware (Table of Media) in your CDRW drive does not yet include this particular CD, which is InfoDisc (that's who manufactured this media for memorex). I too have had great difficulty with this media, and even after Yamaha ugraded their firmware to support it, I can only get one batch of this media to write at 16X, and a second batch, the drive still will not even recognize.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> RE: Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI