CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

AMD Readies Low Notebook Swoop !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1642 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> AMD Readies Low Notebook Swoop ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AMD Readies Low Notebook Swoop ! - 12/28/2004 12:21:25 PM   
T3TRISizer

In my recent musings on laptop parts included a lot of trips to the calculator pondering "what ifs" and battery life ratings, when something hit me. AMD has not been putting out 90 nanometre parts greater than 3500+, and has been taking a lot of heat for it. Cries of everything from yields in the toilet to design problems to conspiracy theories involving cattle mutilations and UFOs abound.

We know the chips that are out there on a 90nm process are very good, and have a 67W TDP. We also know a new E0 stepping is coming in January, and it will lower power by 24% or increase speed by about the same amount. See a connection? No, the current 90nm process is not broken, nor is yield that low. The key is the line it drew in the sand over TDP.

I think the current 90nm process can easily yield the higher speed parts, and would fit in the 89W power envelope of the 130nm chip, but AMD does not want to have a PR and tech support problem. If it waits a few weeks before it exceeda 3500+ on 90nm, it can safely claim that all 90nm parts are 67W. If it does the shoot, aim, ready style of releases, it has to claim some part numbers are 89W, some are 67W, some work with this mobo, others do not.

By waiting on the >3500+ 90nm parts, it is all one statement, 130nm = 89W, 90nm = 67W. You want a mobo that supports one, it is a simple decision, no people calling up and wondering what stepping the Sempr0n they got is, and whether the Dx steppings go one way or the other. Simple and easy.

If you throw in the fact that it doesn't seem to be having much problem supplying the high rated parts on the 130nm process, you can see why they want to avoid the problem. The meat of their sales is already 90nm, so why not avoid a headache by delaying a little for a month or three.

Source : TheInquirer
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> AMD Readies Low Notebook Swoop ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI