CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

CDR Media Factory (Manufacturer) Question   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 778 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> CDR Media Factory (Manufacturer) Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CDR Media Factory (Manufacturer) Question - 3/18/2003 9:15:09 AM   
SuperG

Hi all,

I am sure this question has been asked before, but which Factory of CDR makers is the best? I have some stuff stored, that I would really like to keep for a long time. I am not one of those people who throw their CDs around. All of my important CDR's are in cases or sleeves. But I have heard of certain manufacturers whose CDRs loose their chemical formula, etc., and the CDR becomes partially/fully unreadable. Now, the one factory that I know is suppose to be very good is Taiyo Yuden Company Limited. But after that, I am a little confused. A while back, I ran into a site dedicated to CD Media, which is http://www.cdmediaworld.com and they actually did a CDR quality test, which is here http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_quality.shtml

Now it looks as though this test is a little out of date, but Taiyo Yuden is considered good by them as well. But, the confusion for me begins at Ritek. Basically, on this site, ALL of Ritek's CDRs were considered VERY BAD, and they all failed the aging test. However, reading on some other places/forums, I have seen people say that Ritek along with Taiyo Yuden are the BEST. This is very confusing to see one where it says WORST and the other say BEST. If anyone can clear this up, I would appreciate it.

Also, if anyone could look thru the following list, and rate what they think of these Manufacturers, it would help me greatly.

1) Taiyo Yuden (I have heard VERY GOOD)
2) Kodak (I have heard VERY GOOD, but they have stopped producing)
3) Ricoh (I have heard VERY GOOD)
4) CMC Magnetics (I have heard BAD and OK)
5) TDK (I have heard OK and GOOD)
6) Mitsubishi (I have heard OK)
7) Ritek (I have heard VERY BAD and VERY GOOD)???
8) Fornet (I have heard VERY BAD)
9) Mitsui Toatsu Chemicals (I have heard VERY GOOD)
10) Princo (I have heard BAD)
11) FUJI Photo Film (I have heard OK)
12) Hitachi Maxell, Ltd. (I have heard OK)
13) Prodisc (I have heard OK and GOOD)
14) Multi Media Masters & Machinery SA (I have heard VERY BAD)
15) Seantram Technology (I have heard VERY BAD)
16) Gigastorage Corp. (I have heard VERY BAD)

I know this is a lot of companies, but I wanted to be very thorough. I have run accross EVERY single one of these companies at one point or another. And I want to know what everyone thinks of them, so that I can transfer some important information from one of these BAD manufacturers to a GOOD one. Thank You.

SuperG
Post #: 1
RE: CDR Media Factory (Manufacturer) Question - 3/18/2003 6:48:04 PM   
wayofcain

I have had great luck with Mitsui, TY, and Prodisc. Out of the manufacturers on your list the only one I have to say a really had a problem with was Princo. They had a huge failure rate. It has been a few years though so they may have improved.

try http://nationalaudiocompany.com

(in reply to SuperG)
Post #: 2
RE: CDR Media Factory (Manufacturer) Question - 3/19/2003 12:51:02 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

this question has no easy answer. Everything is constantly changing, and it's hard to follow EVERY manufacturer's quality levels. I can give you my opinion on the one's I know though

1) Taiyo Yuden (Generally VERY good, their latest stuff is a LITTLE lower quality)
2) Kodak (VERY good for aging tests, pretty good otherwise)
3) Ricoh (I haven't seen or heard much)
4) CMC Magnetics (from VERY bad to OK, depending on the brand)
5) TDK (depends, they use MANY different discs, including OK CMC CD-Rs, and REALLY good Ritek CD-Rs)
6) Mitsubishi (VERY good, except in combination with older LiteON drives)
7) Ritek (their older stuff is VERY bad to ok, their newer stuff is VERY good)
8) Fornet (haven't heard or seen anything really)
9) Mitsui (VERY good)
10) Princo (was VERY bad, now is usually OK)
11) Fuji (from VERY good, to Good, depending on the Manufacturer)
12) Hitachi Maxell (From VERY Bad to VERY Good, most newer stuff is good)
13) Prodisc (Generally Good, but not great)
14) Multi Media Masters and Machinary (haven't seen or heard much)
15) SeanTram Tech. (Never actually heard of this one!)
16) Gigastorage (I've NEVER heard anything good about these guys, but I've never SEEN their stuff personally)

not all of these people listed are really manufacturers, like TDK, Fuji, and Maxell. Though I believe Maxell DOES make SOME of their own stuff since they are licensed for it in Japan. TDK and Fuji are ALSO licensed, but to my knowledge neither actually makes their own at this time.

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to SuperG)
Post #: 3
RE: CDR Media Factory (Manufacturer) Question - 3/19/2003 7:39:44 AM   
SuperG

Dolphinius_Rex,

Thanks for your reply. As for your comment about Taiyo Yuden having a LITTLE lower quality rescently, what do u mean? How so? Also, you are correct that rescently neither TDK, Maxell, nor Fuji Film does their own manufacturing. However, they ALL have in the past. I have CDRs, from all 3 with the MANUFACTURER ATIP being TDK, Hitachi Maxell, and FUJI Photo Film respectively. I am glad to hear Ritek is doing better now, since I bought a 100pk of CDRs that are Ritek Manufact.

SuperG

(in reply to SuperG)
Post #: 4
RE: CDR Media Factory (Manufacturer) Question - 3/19/2003 8:10:00 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

having an ATIP with their name on it does NOT mean they are manufacturing it themselves.

I know that 40x and faster Ritek CD-Rs are pretty good

the 40x and 48x CD-Rs made by Taiyo Yuden have slightly lower quality levels then the older one's that Taiyo Yuden put out. They are still good quality though.

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to SuperG)
Post #: 5
RE: CDR Media Factory (Manufacturer) Question - 3/19/2003 8:47:03 AM   
TerminalVeloCD

Here's my experience:

1) Taiyo Yuden: OUTSTANDING. Oustanding compatibility, outstanding burn quality.

2) Kodak: OUTSTANDING (Gold), VERY GOOD (Standard). Great for burning at lower speeds (1x-24x). Last forever and reads good on most CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drives.

3) Ricoh: OUTSTANDING (USA Made), VERY GOOD (Taiwan Made). Most discs with the Ricoh ATIP are now made by RiTEK in Taiwan. They burn great at high and low speeds and seem to survive exposure to the sun very well. The newer 32x and 40x rated discs have less protection for the top layer.

4) CMC Magnetics: Anywhere from VERY BAD to GOOD. Very inconsistant.

5) TDK: VERY GOOD (Japan Made). Discs with this ATIP are no longer sold in Australia. These discs were great at 1x-8x with a low error rate.

6) Mitsubishi: VERY GOOD (Metal Azo), GOOD (Super Azo 24x), VERY GOOD Super Azo 48x). The 24x ones did not work all that well on my LTR-32123S. The others burn flawlessly.

7) Ritek: BAD to GOOD(1x-4x), OUTSTANDING(Everything else). Discs rated at 8x or higher are flawless.

8) Fornet: VERY BAD. Steer clear at all costs.

9) Mitsui: OUTSTANDING (Japan, USA, France Made), VERY GOOD (Taiwan Made). These things will last forever. The Japan/USA/France Made ones are particularly good.

10) Princo: GOOD. Great compatibility with DVD players, but keep them away from the sun!

11) Fujifilm: Never tried any disc with the Fujifilm ATIP.

12) Hitachi Maxell: Never tried any disc with the Maxell ATIP.

13) Prodisc: VERY GOOD. These also last forever, especially the Gold/Gold variety. Great burn quality.

14) MMM&M/Moser Baer India: GOOD. Great burn quality, but keep these away from the sun at ALL costs!

15) Seantram: VERY GOOD. Similar to Princo but higher quality.

16) Gigastorage: GOOD. The new phthalocyanine discs are VERY GOOD, but keep these out of the sun!

Currently Own:
* ASUS CRW-5232AS 'QuieTrak'
* JLMS XJ-HD165H
* LiteON LDW-451S@851S
* LiteON LTR-32123S
* LiteON LTR-52327S
* LiteON SOHR-5238S
* NEC ND-2500A@2510A
* NEC ND-3500A
* Pioneer DVR-107D
* Pioneer DVR-108

(in reply to SuperG)
Post #: 6
RE: CDR Media Factory (Manufacturer) Question - 3/19/2003 3:29:33 PM   
rjw

FUJI,TDK,MAXELL(Hitachi) still make there own disc's but they also use a lot of third party manufacturers in some countries.

For instance Fuji it varies from country to country but this list is prety good to say what you can expect depending on your region.

Europe
Fuji - Fuji germany (the factory is close to the Dutch border)

East-Europe
Ritek
Fuji

America
TY mostly

Maxell - can be Hitachi(maxell),MPO,TY,Ritek.
TDK - can be TDK,Ritek,TY,CMC
The new 90 minutes disc's of TDK are only made by TDK so far.

(in reply to SuperG)
Post #: 7
RE: CDR Media Factory (Manufacturer) Question - 3/20/2003 2:13:31 AM   
TerminalVeloCD

I also have Maxells made by Acer!

TerminalVeloCD

Currently Own:
* ASUS CRW-5232AS 'QuieTrak'
* JLMS XJ-HD165H
* LiteON LDW-451S@851S
* LiteON LTR-32123S
* LiteON LTR-52327S
* LiteON SOHR-5238S
* NEC ND-2500A@2510A
* NEC ND-3500A
* Pioneer DVR-107D
* Pioneer DVR-108

(in reply to SuperG)
Post #: 8
RE: CDR Media Factory (Manufacturer) Question - 3/20/2003 10:06:42 AM   
rjw

Yes I forgot Acer. In fact Maxell had earlier acer 24x disc's as Acer themselves.
Newer TDK reflex 48x can also be made by Mitsui.

(in reply to SuperG)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> CDR Media Factory (Manufacturer) Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI