CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Microsoft Ordered To Comply !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1380 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Microsoft Ordered To Comply ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Microsoft Ordered To Comply ! - 12/24/2004 9:20:36 PM   
WinThusiast

Brussels: Microsoft has failed to get sanctions ordered by the European Commission suspended and must now disclose secret protocols of its Windows software to rivals and market a version of Windows without its Media Player.

The EU's second-highest court dismissed Microsoft's application - part of a six-year battle between the US software company and the European authorities - in its entirety on Tuesday.

Bo Vesterdorf, president of the court of first instance, said the company had failed to prove it would suffer "serious and irreparable damage" if the sanctions or "remedies" were implemented at once.

His decision means PC manufacturers will be offered stripped-down or "degraded" versions of Windows without the Media Player music and video software next month and these should be available in European shops from February, according to Horacio Gutierrez, a senior Microsoft lawyer.

Mr Gutierrez said the technical protocols - not the secret source codes - required by rival operators wanting to provide work group servers that are interoperable with Windows would be posted on a special company website for licences immediately.

The commission found Microsoft guilty of abusing its dominant position on March 24, imposing a record fine of €497 million ($872 million), or 1 per cent of the company's cash, which was paid on June 29.

Michael Reynolds, a former legal adviser to Sun Microsystems, said the precedent would strengthen the commission's arm in acting against dominant companies.

Source : The Guardian
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Microsoft Ordered To Comply ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI