CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Banks Test ID Device For Online Security !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1291 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Banks Test ID Device For Online Security ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Banks Test ID Device For Online Security ! - 12/24/2004 8:59:15 PM   
SiliconFreak

For years, banks gave away toasters to people who opened checking accounts; soon they may be distributing a more modern kind of appliance.

Responding to an increase in Internet fraud, some banks and brokerage firms plan to begin issuing small devices that would help their customers prove their identities when they log on to online banking, brokerage and bill-payment programs.

E*Trade Financial intends to introduce such a product in the first few months of 2005. And U.S. Bancorp says it will test a system, though it has not given a timetable.

The devices, which are hand-held and small enough to attach to a keychain, are expected to cost customers roughly $10. They display a six-digit number that changes once a minute; people seeking access to their accounts would type in that number as well as a user name and password. The devices are freestanding; they do not plug into a computer.

Some banks, like Wachovia of Charlotte, N.C., and Commerce Bancshares of Kansas City, Mo., already use these hardware tokens to identify employees and corporate customers, and say they are evaluating the technology for retail banking use. Others, like Fidelity Investments and Bank of America, are researching the matter.

"Every single major bank is considering it," said James Van Dyke, principal and founder of Javelin Strategy and Research of Pleasanton, Calif., which advises financial services companies on payments and technology issues.
Full story...

Source : NYTimes
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Banks Test ID Device For Online Security ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI