CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Free Grand Theft Auto 2 Available For Download !!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1356 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Game News >> Free Grand Theft Auto 2 Available For Download !! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Free Grand Theft Auto 2 Available For Download !! - 12/22/2004 7:54:11 PM   
T3TRISizer

With Christmas just a few days away there is not a whole lot happening in the PC hardware world. So what is the cure for the doldrums? How about a free copy of Grand Theft Auto 2! Those cool mofos over at RockStar games have updated their classic game page offering GTA2 for free. The game weighs in at about 350MB.

This version of GTA2 is modified from its original version to enable support for modern PC's and current Microsoft® Windows® platforms. However, we unfortunately cannot guarantee that GTA2 will work correctly on your PC. Download, Installation and execution of this software is entirely at your own risk.

Source : HardOcp
Post #: 1
RE: Free Grand Theft Auto 2 Available For Download !! - 12/23/2004 7:46:39 AM   
Cooler

"...we unfortunately cannot guarantee..." + "*NOTE: The information you provide on this form may be collected even if you are not eligible to download the game" = "Try our lottery - You may win and get somewhat working old game, but we will win every time... so prepare for spam campaign!"?

I know, I know. I'm just another paranoid...

Quae dant, quaque negant, gaudent tamen esse rogatae.

(in reply to T3TRISizer)
Post #: 2
RE: Free Grand Theft Auto 2 Available For Download !! - 12/23/2004 11:45:37 AM   
SiliconFreak

Exactly...a BIG PARANOID...thats how I would call You.......cant You read?...its not the lottery...because everyone gets this free copy...read rules again....its only due to overwhelming response that they limited the number of simultaneous connections to their download server...so if You get error (similar to the one at Generals - I am sure You would recgnize it...since You are already familiar with such errors )...just try again later...and sooner or later You will get Your copy... And I also believe You have some spare email account which You could write in those forms...and not worrying about spam later...I have 3 of them to serve for such purposes...so if You dont...open some new free email account...and have it for those non-100% spam free cases if You worry that much, El Paranoido...

In Your case...I would worry only if the game would work under 2K!? Thats the only serious question here...but then again...You are used to fix errors at XPs...and maybe its time to get some error fixing routine also at 2Ks...

*dont take it too serious*

Enjoy.

*SF-OUT*

(in reply to Cooler)
Post #: 3
RE: Free Grand Theft Auto 2 Available For Download !! - 12/24/2004 12:39:33 AM   
Cooler

Well, if that "free copy" does not WORK... what's good in it?
I don't worry about it (non-)working with Win2K - I'm not even downloading this.

What I am worried is the way how game developers have been starting to describe their software: "It may work... or not - I don't care."
When people are getting used to see similar comments, they'll become de facto standard - Even to commercial software.
When you go to shop buying food, would you like to see signs like these:
"This may be eatable... or not. It's free, so don't complain."
"This if good for your health... or not. Nevertheless, we're using your personal information as we please."

I said "lottery", because as seen on website, "it may or may not work".
In this case the cost of "lottery" is only time, little effort and bandwidth.
Next time you may end up paying for product which "may or may not work"... and you own the pieces if it breaks.

I'm sorry if this don't make any sense, but It's a bit hard to make my point clear with foreign language.
Mouth of gift horse and everything... I know, I know...

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
RE: Free Grand Theft Auto 2 Available For Download !! - 12/24/2004 5:28:04 PM   
SiliconFreak

It FREE, remember?

And its more than obvious that people nowadays dont put too much efforts into what they would need to put on market for free (its very sad to be so...but it is...)

Its exactly as You said....hahahaha...it may be eatable or not...hahaha...love that idea......but then again...they may play jokes here since its free (although I dont think that such approach is fair even if its free)...but same approach in the "paying" markets...would soon burn such businesses to the ground...

And dont worry...it makes sense...and I totally understand what You were trying to say... Like I said...a neverending sad story...thats what this world is turning into...

Heads up....lets roll...

(in reply to Cooler)
Post #: 5
RE: Free Grand Theft Auto 2 Available For Download !! - 12/28/2004 3:20:13 AM   
Cooler

I remember - It's free... so who will pay my bandwidth and time used to download and try something that may or may not work? Does it uninstall with 100% cleaning of it's remainings? Is it 100% sure it's not messing with other softwares? So, you see... a freebie may become expensive! And to think of it... may or may not work shows so bad attitude of developers, that it could be seen as warning sign.

I do appreciate the developers giving something for free, but saying it may or may not work ruins the credibility of an offer a bit, don't you think?

Post #: 6
RE: Free Grand Theft Auto 2 Available For Download !! - 12/28/2004 9:16:46 AM   
SiliconFreak

Hahahaha...You El Paranoido...

I partly agree...that they shouldnt just say "it might-or might not work"...even if they offer something for FREE...because if something doesnt work...than they shouldnt offer that...even if for free...

But about first half of Your message...nothing if 100%...remember that word...NOTHING!... Btw...do ALL your programs easily uninstall (and also remove all register items as well)?...I guess not...(2K should manage that easily...or dont they? )...so if You worry about having some files left after uninstalling programs...rather get some good program to help You with those "problems"...there are plenty of free ones in the market...i use 2-3 of them on regular basis for such cases... The same goes to bandwidth usage and installation time...like it would be the first time You install something You later found its of no good use to You!? I guess we all do such mistakes on daily basis...not just here...but in our lives also...so You wont know unless You give it a try...

Peace 4 all....and good luck with free rides...

< Message edited by SiliconFreak -- 12/28/2004 9:17:33 AM >

(in reply to Cooler)
Post #: 7
RE: Free Grand Theft Auto 2 Available For Download !! - 12/28/2004 8:16:45 PM   
Cooler

Every well made software does indeed remove a whole installation!
Unfortunately, software is nowawadys made poorly, so users have to suffer...

Oh, as i already have found best choices practically every usage of mine, I'm not keen to install new software daily
There are few softwares I'm still trying to find as usable versions, but...

Post #: 8
RE: Free Grand Theft Auto 2 Available For Download !! - 12/28/2004 9:18:28 PM   
SiliconFreak

Yes...at least thats how is SHOULD be...but the point is...do they really WANT to remove everything...or its more "useful" for them to leave some traces hidden somewhere...so that they might later check if You've been using some of their software before...or maybe to leave them for some other purposes...dont know... Good and reliable register cleaner along with other cleaning programs is a must have in todays world......and even with all of them installed...noone can be 100% sure that there is absolutely no trash jumping around his/hers machines and eating CPU power along with other resources...

(in reply to Cooler)
Post #: 9
RE: Free Grand Theft Auto 2 Available For Download !! - 12/29/2004 5:23:53 PM   
Cooler

That's how it should be. It does not matter if "they" want to properly clear the remainings or not - It's not "their" right to decide, as they don't own the computer which should be clean after uninstalling the software. But then again... this is not a problem completely outside of Windows. Ever seen gazillion "temporary" files in "temp" folder(s) left behind by Windows? Same principle: Sloppy and careless behaviour and programming.

Post #: 10
RE: Free Grand Theft Auto 2 Available For Download !! - 12/29/2004 7:59:01 PM   
SiliconFreak

You are right...but I guess this "careless programming" is very handy for them...they might hide behind this...but thats not the main case every time...sometimes they leave those files and stuff with some "special" intensions for later use...

Yes..I also know the TEMP folder problem...its constantly growing and growing...even more if You use WWW alot...in that case TEMP.INT. folder may grow to GB or more in matter of weeks or less... So with all this...even the fastest computer on the market...soon turns into slowest XT alike calculator.... Sad but true...

They do all that with 1 purpose only...to sell more...and we are back at the beginning of our neverending story...buy...upgrade...etc...etc....

(in reply to Cooler)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Game News >> Free Grand Theft Auto 2 Available For Download !! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI