CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Can YOU help a n00b?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1381 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> NEC >> Can YOU help a n00b? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can YOU help a n00b? - 12/10/2004 4:45:51 PM   
Prozac

ok is there a sticky explaining what the following are-

Rip lock
RPC1
Booktype
Ritek

Im bit confused,ive had my NEC 3500ag for about a month now,ive only bought 8x discs but when i choose what speed to burn at it shows all the way upto 16x does this mean i can burn it at 16x?,ive not even tried a DL disc yet.i use my dvdrw for burning films and such,ive got the v2.C8 firmware in,i have noticed somtimes that when im burning at 8x (although it says burning at 8x in nero)i have a feeling its burning much slower than that just because the humming of the drive is somtimes quieter,Also it supposed to be a 48x CDR drive but the fastest i can select in nero is 32x will all this be ironed out in the future with firmware updates?

ive not had one disc fail on me yet so it cant be a bad drive.

Oh and Hello to everyone

< Message edited by Prozac -- 12/10/2004 5:17:40 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Can YOU help a n00b? - 12/10/2004 5:53:02 PM   
SiliconFreak

Hello and welcome to our forum!

I am not that much of an expert in CD/DVD area (I guess other members who are will write their opinions here later ), but I may try to help You with those acronyms...so...

1. Rip Lock ...is a protection against ripping encrypted DVDs and comes into play only on encrypted DVDs...i.e....try to rip one of Your store bought DVDs...and the ripping speed will be limited to 2-4x on most drives with stock firmware...and then...try to rip some movie disc you made yourself (a backup or something you made with authoring software) that's not encrypted...and You'll see the rip speed increases considerably...Generally..Riplocks are considered a passive copy protection feature... With respect to the riplock, the modded firmwares don't push the drive's RPMs beyond their capabilities (as you will see when you'll rip a non-encrypted disc), it just removes the hurdle put in place for ripping encrypted discs. If it was a reliability issue, the original firmware would limit speeds for unencrypted discs as well, especially since reading DVD R discs is supposed to be harder than reading pressed DVDs.... So thats all I could found about that...hope it helps a bit...

2. RPC1...here is the definion...RPC1 = Drives/Patches that are Region-Free (no checks in hardware)... RPC2 = Drives/Patches that are Region-Locked (checks the region-code in hardware). So as You may see...Your DVD is region free......and You may click HERE for more info on that issue..

3. Booktype setting...The booktype field identifies the disc as either a DVD-ROM, DVD+R(W) or a DVD-R(W) disc and is for a big part responsible for the compatibility. Because this setting is overwritten during the DVD-R production process it can’t be modified afterwards, the laser of your DVD recorder simply can’t write to that part of the disc. During the production of DVD+R discs the space is untouched. Still CSS keys can’t be written to DVD+R discs because every DVD recorder and DVD player has a limit in its firmware to write or read to this space. However, there is no limit for writing the booktype field. Therefor a DVD+R(W) recorder will be able to modify this field by sending a command to the DVD recorder and fool the DVD player.

When the booktype field (bitsetting) is changed to DVD-ROM then DVD players are fooled and will think the user has put in a DVD-ROM disc instead of a DVD+R disc and will read it accordingly. This results in an increased chance that the player is able to read the disc and that’s why the ability to change the booktype field (bitsetting) is essential to a lot of users. Certainly owners of a DVD player that requires this field to be set to DVD-ROM, in order to work properly, will prefer a DVD recorder that supports setting the booktype field.

For even more info about Booktypes click HERE and HERE.

4. Ritek....as far as I know it only a Media maker...like Princo,TDK,Smartbuy,...etc etc..

I hope this helps at least a bit to get broader picture....and like I said..."REAL" professionals will surely tell You even more here (although they are out now I guess, 'cause its friday night/saturday morning...). But dont worry...they will answer Your questions even more detailed like I did...

Have a nice day/night...

Greetings, SiliconFreak.

p.s. And if you need me for some explanation or something....either PM me..or write your requests into any of the "News arround the web" areas of our forum (because I am not always in this side of forum - but I am always at my home @ "News Around The Web" area )

< Message edited by SiliconFreak -- 12/10/2004 5:57:23 PM >

(in reply to Prozac)
Post #: 2
RE: Can YOU help a n00b? - 12/10/2004 6:31:02 PM   
Prozac

Cheers mate i now understand thankyou.

i have a dvdrom aswell as the 3500a so i will use that for ripping,i just did a test rip with Dvd Decrypter and the 3500 is soooooo slow but my pioneer drive is fast enough.

As for booktype,with nero it lets me change it if i click on the options just before burning,should i just leave it to auto?

Thanks again mate i appreciate it!

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 3
RE: Can YOU help a n00b? - 12/11/2004 8:23:04 AM   
SiliconFreak

Hi again!

I am glad I could help a bit...

So....about ripping and stuff...You have 2 options...either to do as You said...Use Pioneer dvdrom for ripping...

or...

Flash some latest firmware with cracked Riplock protection...so in this case You could rip at higher speeds with Your 3500a.

Its up to You...do as You think its best... (but in this case be sure You know how its done...or You might (in worst case scenario) end up with non-working drive...

And finally about Booktype...I would say this way...if You dont have compatibility issues and if You dont intend to use those DVDs in some other drives which could have problems with recognizing them...then leave everything as it is (at AUTO)... You may change that later at anytime...so if I were You...I would leave it for now...

Best wishes, SF.

(in reply to Prozac)
Post #: 4
RE: Can YOU help a n00b? - 12/11/2004 3:08:15 PM   
Prozac

Thanks mate........lol i felt like i was missing out on somthing,but i guess a lot of the stuff doesnt really apply to me.

i dont burn that much and when i do its mostly Divx or Xvid stuff for my Yamada 6600 divx/Xvid/DVD player,and everythings worked so far apart from adding stuff to a multi session disc,windows will pick it up but the dvd player doesnt,so i guess to fix that would be to fill a dvd instead of adding to it at a later date but it could also be a nero problem.

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> NEC >> Can YOU help a n00b? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI