CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

My love for Memorex media.   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 487 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> My love for Memorex media. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My love for Memorex media. - 2/28/2003 5:35:33 PM   
jjoey312

Some of you guys might remember me trying to get help a month or so ago about trying to recover some data either off of the memorex cd-rw's that I had just burnt or off of the cd-rw's (maxell) that i had quick erased. By the ways the cd-rw's that I had bought were a slow speed maybe 4x to 10x cd-rw's Memorex with a white label 700mb. For those of you that do not know do not buy memorex cd-rw's or any of them in less you want to set yourself up for disgust.
I partially blame myself for the problem I had but mostly memorex. I burn't several cd-rw's from this batch (maybe 15 to 20). After the burn was complete with nero the message said burn completed successfully or something like this. Like a dumbass I did not verify the info on the disc before I deleted the info from my hard drive. To those of you who read this that somewhat of a newbie "Do not delete info before you VERIFY the info on your disc".
Anyways once I found that I had one disc acting crazy I tried all the discs that I had recently burned. Probably 80% of the discs that I had burned would not read. When I say not read the drive would light up when the disc was inserted and you could here the drive speeding up and slowing down with no read. Sometimes after about 15 mins the disc would show up on the explorer page. Once you clicked on the drive the contents would show up but you could not retrieve any data to your hard drive. I tried several programs that people on the forum recommended but nothing worked.
First I was in denial but then I accepted and started to rebuild the data that I had on my cd's. Luckily I had a excel worksheet that told me what were on the disc (mp3 files). This screw up partially on me but mostly on the piece of s**t discs from memorex cost me a lot of time. You see the info I had on the discs were mp'3's some backups of my own disc's but a lot of the files were downloaded. When you just have a 56k modem it takes a while to download 10 - 13 700mb discs worth of info.
I did'nt mean to write a book but the moral of the story to those of you who don't know it be very cautious of memeorex media or do not buy it all. I will probably never buy anything mfg by memorex. Funny thing is that after posting my original posts I read all kinds of replys saying that memeorex sucks. Is'nt that funny how that's the way it usually works. Remember just because memorex has some big ass rebate at your favorite circuit city or best buys where you end up getting a 1000 disc's for $20 the time you spend later will cost you more than that. I did'nt mean to wear you guys out with all the reading. Remember to VERIFY your info.

Post #: 1
RE: My love for Memorex media. - 2/28/2003 7:12:23 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

in all fairness, memorex didn't manufacture those discs, they just put their name on them. You do have a right to be angry that they don't care about the quality of their discs that much, but it's not like they owned the production lines. Memorex buys from many different manfacturers including Taiyo Yuden, known to be one of the best in the world (if not THE best). So don't knock ALL memorex discs...(though I can't blame you, *I* hate memorex too!).

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to jjoey312)
Post #: 2
RE: My love for Memorex media. - 2/28/2003 9:46:52 PM   
MP3Mogul

Very well said Dolphinius. I too agree, I have some excellent data and audio backups created on Memorex Discs, with no problems at all.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to jjoey312)
Post #: 3
RE: My love for Memorex media. - 3/1/2003 5:41:21 AM   
rabbit

the only memorex i had problems with were the RWs.

the memorex CDRs i bought the last year or so (the purple graphics ones ... ritek or prodisc) have been fine.

but like you say, memorex RWs seem to be bad news :-).

(in reply to jjoey312)
Post #: 4
RE: My love for Memorex media. - 3/1/2003 1:38:18 PM   
MP3Mogul

Actually, I have 3 memorex 12X CDRW's that I have been erasing and rewriting on a daily basis. I make audio cd's on them to play daily back and forth for my vehicles. They have held up excellently. I did have a 4th one, it failed after about a year a half, the other 3 have been going strong for about 2 years now. Perhaps this was a bad batch that you had purchased, or the media was made my someone else, other than the ones that I purchased. I did have a similar experience as you did, using Cremation CDRW's.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to jjoey312)
Post #: 5
RE: My love for Memorex media. - 3/1/2003 1:59:42 PM   
Tron

While I have had some good Memorex discs, I will say that I have had a lot of bad ones too. ALL the Memorex CDRWs that I have bought in the last year are trash. I ended up with jewel cases out of it. I even argued with them until they send me replacements and those were trash too.... (More jewel cases...LOL...) I had some 650 meg discs 4x that worked fine and still do, but now I refuse to buy Memorex CDRWs. I have had no trouble with the CDRs though. Just for info purposes, I would like to say that those same disks failed in all three of my burners, so it is not the burner. I have two liteons and a Pioneer and they all failed. I got a hold of some cheap Imation discs and they work great.....

"Respect our forum, other users, and our staff.... have a good time!"

CDR-INFO

(in reply to jjoey312)
Post #: 6
RE: My love for Memorex media. - 3/2/2003 3:50:06 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Tron: it doesn't susprise me, LiteON and CMC seem to get along much better then other burners do!

After my experiences with Memorex platinum (I bought about 10 12packs, they all dies within a year), I will never buy Memorex for personal use again. They need to clean up their act more, and pay more attention to the quality of the discs manufactured for them!

(in reply to jjoey312)
Post #: 7
RE: My love for Memorex media. - 3/4/2003 5:11:08 PM   
jjoey312

Thanks for all the responses to this posts. Regardless of whether or not memorex is aware of the quality of their discs they should. I'm the type of person when I have a bad experience with an item I don't go back to it. I don't care what kind of deal their offering on them at the stores (Buy one get one free, or 100 discs for $1.99) believe me it will cost you if your not careful. I feel now about memorex like I sony (who in my opinion mfg's very bad quality playstation II's and dvd players).
By the way what is the best program out there for detecting the origins of a disc? (someone mentioned cdr-id or something like this).

(in reply to jjoey312)
Post #: 8
RE: My love for Memorex media. - 3/4/2003 9:54:14 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

There is no fool rpoof way to detect the origions of the disc. The current method is by reading the ATIP lead in, and comparing it to ATIP lead in databases available on the web, and from different software (inlcuding LiteON's SmartBurn, Plextor's Plextools, Nero CD Speed, and others). The problem with this is, too many discs use the same AYIP lead in numbers!!

A new system is currently being worked on by some. It involves reading both the ATIP lead in AND the ATIP lead out of a discs, and results in much more accurate identification, but at this time, no software or open databases currently support this method (to my knowledge).

Most of my info comes from my own personal database (which I don't share at this time, sorry) and from cross referencing several other databases, including software and web based. I hope this helps! :)

(in reply to jjoey312)
Post #: 9
RE: My love for Memorex media. - 3/6/2003 9:32:13 PM   
CH

I am hoping somebody here can help me. I have Yamaha CRW 2100ZX (external, firewire) 16x10x40 which I use with a Sony VAIO laptop. I have the software installed that came with it (Adaptec?) and I also have Nero installed (updated to the latest version). I've had problems using both programs. The computer keeps disconnecting the CD burner but if I keep rebooting I can eventually get it to stay connected. I'm wondering if anyone else has had these problems and if there's any way I can stop this happening. I can't use the Yamaha firewire cable because I had to get one that was 4 pin to 6 pin for the laptop. Could the quality of the cable be a problem? The VAIO recognises the recorder but keeps telling me I disconnected it without clicking the STOP icon. Very frustrating!

Secondly, I have only found one type of disc to use that gives me good copies every time and that's the Memorex, High Capacity, Professional Recordable compact disc, 700mb, 80 minute, 24x. I've tried other Memorex Pro discs (48x, 32x) and I get corruptions even IF I can get the software to acknowledge it's a recordable disc. My problem is, I can't find any more 24x Memorex Pro discs anywhere. I've tried other brands including Sony and Vertatim - the software says they are not recordable discs. I'm getting sick of buying discs that don't work. And all the discs I can find in shops are 40x or 48x and it seems my burner doesn't like any of them. The Yamaha just keeps spinning and spinning them, trying to read them I guess, and never goes into rest mode with those discs in the tray. I'm sure there must be others here who have one of these burners and I'd like to know if you had similar problems and whether you have been able to solve them. Thanks.

(in reply to jjoey312)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> My love for Memorex media. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI