CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Microsoft Sues Seven Sex Spammers !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1065 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Microsoft Sues Seven Sex Spammers ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Microsoft Sues Seven Sex Spammers ! - 12/2/2004 4:06:13 PM   
WinThusiast

Microsoft today began an anti-spam blitz by filing seven lawsuits against hackers who allegedly used PCs infected with Trojans to send sexually explicit spam email that violated the Can-Spam US anti-spam law.

"Sexually explicit materials and publications for sale in stores are required by law to be covered from view with a brown paper wrapper, and it is important that consumers are protected online in the same way," said Nancy Anderson, vice president and deputy general counsel at Microsoft.

Spam that contains sexually oriented material that is initially viewable in the email violates provisions known as 'brown paper wrapper' in the Can-Spam law and Federal Trade Commission rules.

The labelling provisions require such email solicitations to include the words 'sexually explicit' in both the subject line and the initially viewable area of an email.

The seven lawsuits were filed in Washington State Superior Court in King County against 'John Doe' defendants who have yet to be identified.

The actions allege violations of the Can-Spam federal law and Washington State's Commercial Electronic Mail Act, including using compromised computers around the world to route spam email, using misleading subject lines, and failing to include an unsubscribe option and physical address.

Collectively, defendants in these cases allegedly sent hundreds of thousands of email messages.

"Labelling requirements for spam are important, and the 'brown paper wrapper' rule is a particularly important provision," said Anne Mitchell, president of the Institute for Spam and Internet Public Policy.

Microsoft has now supported over 115 legal actions worldwide against spammers, including filing 86 lawsuits in the US.

Source : VnuNet
Post #: 1
RE: Microsoft Sues Seven Sex Spammers ! - 12/4/2004 2:34:43 AM   
Cooler

quote:

ORIGINAL: WinThusiast
Microsoft has now supported over 115 legal actions worldwide against spammers, including filing 86 lawsuits in the US.

Nice to see someone actually acting against spammers! And when it's a big company, all the better!

Quae dant, quaque negant, gaudent tamen esse rogatae.

(in reply to WinThusiast)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Microsoft Sues Seven Sex Spammers ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI