CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

DVD-RAM Problem and partial solution   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 317 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> DVD-RAM Problem and partial solution Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DVD-RAM Problem and partial solution - 11/27/2004 4:11:42 PM   
XandO

I bought an LG 4160 because of reviews here and the fact that it burns DVD-RAM. My experience with Ricoh, Plextor and Lite-On burners and CD-RW media lead me to expect that data integrity would decrease with multiple rewritings with DVD-RW, so the best rewritable solution seemed to DVD-RAM. I was unaware, however, that RAM disks have a reduced capacity compared to +-R disks. While write once disks have a capacity of 4.37GB, my Panasonic RAM disks can only hold 4.27GB. Since it was my intention to back up movies temporarily, this reduced capacity has made it impossible to do complete backups. Overburning by even 10MB seems to be impossible as I get a failure warning by Nero every time. Was anyone else aware of DVD-RAM's reduced capacity and is there any way to format it so that it regains the lost 100MB?

Here's my partial solution for others who may be tempted to use RAM disks for a similar purpose. I've found that even when the burn process results in failure due to overburning, the disk will still play in my Panasonic DVD player up until the spot that created the error. This usually means that the disk stops playing at some point during the end credits, something that I don't really care about most of the time.

Other solutions, of course, require stripping parts of the DVD like foreign language audio or previews.

But it was a real shock to find that my 4.7GB DVD-RAM disks don't have as much capacity as my 4.7GB -R disks.

Lastly, I've rewritten to one RAM disk multiple times and data integrity appears to be good all the way to the end of the disk. That is something one would expect from a medium meant for archival backup.
Post #: 1
RE: DVD-RAM Problem and partial solution - 11/29/2004 7:33:17 AM   
Cooler

Maybe file system takes it's toll?

BTW... excuse me, but what has Nero got to do with DVD-RAM disks?
I'm using daily DVD-RAM with my LG GSA-4040B. Explorer (or any other file manager) is enough for me - No need for Nero.

Quae dant, quaque negant, gaudent tamen esse rogatae.

(in reply to XandO)
Post #: 2
RE: DVD-RAM Problem and partial solution - 11/29/2004 12:00:23 PM   
XandO

So, are you seeing the same reduced capacity that I am?

As for Nero, it's what I like. It doesn't require a RAM driver. And it allows me to get most of the movie onto the disk whereas I could not burn a partial file that was too large to fit entirely on the disk using file drag and drop.

(in reply to Cooler)
Post #: 3
RE: DVD-RAM Problem and partial solution - 12/1/2004 5:48:14 AM   
Cooler

About same capacity, yes. Could be a bit different, depending file system used.
I do use Nero for CD/DVD burns, but I'm more comfortable without burning software when DVD-RAM is used. But I can't blame you for liking nero...

Quae dant, quaque negant, gaudent tamen esse rogatae.

(in reply to XandO)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> DVD-RAM Problem and partial solution Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI