CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Police Burn $1.3 Million Pirated DVDs !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 709 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Police Burn $1.3 Million Pirated DVDs ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Police Burn $1.3 Million Pirated DVDs ! - 11/25/2004 2:10:26 PM   
SiliconFreak

Coppers have organised a bit of a barbie in Melbourne and chucked more than $1.3 million illegally copied DVDs on to the grill.

Apparently the purpose of the shindig was to send a message to organised crime that this sort of thing was not tolerated in Oz these days. Although how the organised criminals were supposed to get the message since they were not invited was not clear. Perhaps they were expected to read smoke signals from the countless burning DVDs.

Actually we made the whole thing about a barbie up and the DVDs were crushed, but there were fewer crushing jokes available on a Thursday morning.

Police admitted to hacks who were invited that stamping out the lucrative trade in pirated DVDs is nearly impossible.

Apparently DVD makers were constantly working to find new technologies to prevent the copying of their films but criminals were cracking them just as fast.

According to Associated Press, Commander Terry Perton of Victoria Police stood smiling at the bottom of the conveyor belt as hundreds of dodgy copies of Shrek, Nemo and American Pie 2 shattered into splinters.

He told Associated Press that it was very pleasing to think that there's $1.3 million of pirated DVDs being shredded and that's $1.3 million that hasn't been put in the hands of crooks.

Source : TheInquirer
Post #: 1
RE: Police Burn $1.3 Million Pirated DVDs ! - 11/25/2004 6:34:25 PM   
G_IvanAwfulitch

I guess they can put them into the same pile with all the crushed guns.

DVD Burning 'PuterP4 2.8 o/c 3.2
XP Pro Sp2
Albatron PX865PE PRO
6HDs_ 1TB+ total
2GB 3200DDR
MD 3500 2.FC, MD 3520 1.F3 On Firewire
Benq oem 1620 B7U9, BQ 1640
Plex 48/24/48 BU on Usb2
General use,Compaq 5000 series
BTC 1108

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Police Burn $1.3 Million Pirated DVDs ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI