CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Yamaha CRW 2200IX Tray Opening Problem   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 774 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Yamaha CRW 2200IX Tray Opening Problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yamaha CRW 2200IX Tray Opening Problem - 2/16/2003 11:38:53 PM   
krs

Hi,
I just received a Yamaha CRW 2200IX in a firewire case for my Mac.. Everything electrical seems to be fine, the drive shows up in the apple profiler (G4 with OS9.1), all the LEDs on the drive come on properly etc., BUT
When I push the eject button on the drive itself, the sliding tray for the CD only comes out about half-way. I took the drive apart to see what was causing this, the problem is that the base that contains the drive and optosensors to read and burn the CD's has moved up and therefore prevents the tray from sliding out. Seems like there is a magnetic field that causes that.
Don't really know how this is all supposed to work in detail, seems to me that this movement is required to clamp the CD when reading and/or recording, but this happens before I even get a CD in the drive.
I reinstalled everything a second time, followed the instructions to a "T", ie power on computer and power on drive BEFORE connecting the firewire cable, went through the troubleshooting guide in the Yamaha manual, tried it with the firewire cable disconnected. All to no avail.
When I had the drive apart and that base was in the lower position, the tray slid out just fine.
Anyone have any ideas what it could be other than a defective drive?
Thanks, Knut

Post #: 1
RE: Yamaha CRW 2200IX Tray Opening Problem - 2/21/2003 2:27:20 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Well I am sorry I can't help you with this as me and Mac's don't get on !!!

Speaking Without Thinking, Is Like Shooting Without Aiming !!!

(in reply to krs)
Post #: 2
RE: Yamaha CRW 2200IX Tray Opening Problem - 2/21/2003 7:31:33 PM   
krs

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think the problem has anything to do with the Mac. When I power up the Yamaha drive without the firewire connection, I get the same problem.
What I can't quite figure out is what causes the bottom plate to move up to clamp the CD. Is that purely electrical or is there a mechanical linkage related to the tray position....or both.
Once I can determine that, I can probably figure out what is causing the problem.
In the meantime I'm digging for my sales receipt which of course has gone missing (to return/exchange the drive), but if I have to pay postage and a service fee which is often the case, it may not be worth it. Drives like that, just the guts, not the firewire electronics and case, seem to go for only about $25 or so.
But I would still like to fix the drive if at all possible.

Knut

Knut

(in reply to krs)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Yamaha CRW 2200IX Tray Opening Problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI