CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1087 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 4/3/2003 11:37:57 PM   
toxicmonkeylove

hi

nvidia mobo chipset? never heard of it.

the 3 systems i placed it in were the following:

CPU : Intel p4 1.7g
Mobo: elitegroup p4s5a (SiS chipset)
GPU: msi Geforce ti4200
HD: IBM 60gb UDMA drives

CPU : intel p4 2.54g
Mobo: MSI 645E max (sis chipset)
GPU: Geforce ti4400
HD: seagate 60gb UDMA drives

An interesting thing i remeber is that everybox had been open at bestbuy (4)..i ask a sales person can i return it if something is missing.

mine is a TL 0001

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 17
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 4/5/2003 7:31:50 AM   
Clint

quote:
Originally posted by toxicmonkeylove

nvidia mobo chipset? never heard of it.

They do exist. NForce 2, probably best chipset for AMD platform currently...

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 18
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 4/18/2003 10:12:10 AM   
Demodave

I have had the same problem.[V]

I bought two from Amazon.com (one for home and one for work), but the burned CD's only had the crckle problem on an older CD player at work (a professional Marantz player). On all of my other players, including a 12-year old Denon changer and my GM car CD player, the discs play fine with no crckle. I chalked it up to the older Marantz CD player. Although the Marantz never had a problem playing back discs burned with an older Plextor 16X burner.

My two systems that the Plextors are installed to are quite different. At home is a Pentium 3 800 Mhz and it is the secondary master with a DVD drive on the secondary slave. At work, the Plextor is installed the same way on the secondary master with a DVD as the slave. The work computer is a Pentium 4 1.4 GHz machine.

I use top of the line media....Mitsui silver and TY branded disc bought in bulk spools. The problem is always there, but only on certain players.

I would love to find an answer to this. I'm starting to think that the laser is a tad weaker on the 48X burner than other Plextors. I'm hoping that a firmware upgrade can fix the problem. I hope someone finds a solution soon!!!!

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 19
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 4/18/2003 5:46:52 PM   
toxicmonkeylove

my problem was solved by the following:

setting "ulta dma support" in the bios to 100Mhz. NOT 133Mhz

my motherboard is MSI 645E Max

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 20
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 5/21/2003 6:31:43 AM   
EvB

I'm having a static problem with my 48/24/48 USB. This is an external drive, so there can't be any master/slave setting issues. I've got USB 2.0, but for some reason, if I am burning cd's faster than 16x on TY's using EAC or NERO, the first few tracks have static all over them. For quality cd's used in trades I don't mind using the slow speeds, but when I'm ripping personal cd's (I store everything in SHN on the hard drive anyway), I just want to pop cd's out.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Evan

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 21
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 5/21/2003 8:13:46 AM   
bob11879

Try different media. If the static is localized on the disc to the first few tracks, the quality of the media at the inner edge might be poor, resulting in a lot of errors. If you get static throughout, you might try replacing the USB cable or relocating the drive.

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 22
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 5/21/2003 5:18:29 PM   
EvB

Thanks, I would try using different media, but Fuji Taiyo Yudens are some of the best discs available.

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 23
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 5/22/2003 3:56:32 AM   
Demodave

I tried several things with Plextor to fix this problem and was ultimately told that the media recommeded on their website isn't compatible with my Plextor burner. Here are the e-mail exchanges:

quote:

I am having a problem burning audio CD's. The very beginning of the disc is difficult for some home CD players to read with lots of static and clicking. Farther into the disc, the problem goes away and the disc plays fine. I used to have a Plextor 16X burner and never had a problem with the burned CD's. I bought two Plextor PX-W4824A drives and upgraded both to latest firmware of v1.04 and both have the exact same problem on two different computers. I tried the diagnostic mode on the drive and it reported no problems. Here is the setup on my home computer:

* Pentium III 800 MHz on a motherboard with an Intel chipset
* 2 Maxtor hard drives on the Primary IDE chain
* Plextor PX-W4824A on the Secondary IDE master
* Lite-On DVD drive on the Secondary IDE slave
* Windows XP Professional Edition
* Nero Burning ROM

The work computer is similar except that it has a Pentium 4 1.4 GHz processor and is running Windows 2000. The media I use is top-notch....Mitsui Silver and TY Silver disc.

I have read about others with this same problem from other users on the various CD-R internet forums, but have never seen a solution posted.

I have attached the text file output from Nero's Info Tool from my home system, which will give you every detail of my system including the serial number of my Plextor drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

--Dave Martin

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:00:22 -0700
Subject: RE: PX-W4824A Problem

Nothing in your message here describes the 'problem' very well.

What is the EXACT error message you get?

Most often noise on a disc is from the disc media or the eide settings on your computer. You may have to experiment a bit to find out which media works best with your CD player.

Plextor America Support Team - Jack

Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 11:40 AM
To: support@plextor.com

I'll try to explain the problem a bit better...

When burning an audio CD, I get a static sound / skipping at the beginning of the CD. The Plextor will play it back fine, but three different audio CD players have problems with the burned discs. This problem happens with two different kinds of media: TY 48 disc and Mitsui Silver discs. Both of these are considered the best available and are recommended on your website.

I used to burn CD's with a Plextor 16/10/40a IDE burner and never once did I have a problem...a perfect burn every time. All three of the mentioned home CD players never had a problem with discs burned with the older Plextor.

I also borrowed a Lite On 48 burner from a friend and the burns were perfect and played back everywhere. I just have the problem with the new Plextors.

I have DMA enabled on all IDE channels....I have tried installing Intel's Application Accelerator (and un-installing it) with no luck.

I have read about others who have had this same problem on some of the internet forums. Is the first time anyone has ever brought this particular problem up to Plextor support?

From your message below, it seems that the media choice is not good....what should I use then? I am using what is considered the best media available. This same media always worked fine on the Plextor 16/10/40a. Is it possible that there is a flaw on both of my Plextor PX-W4842A drives? They were purchased thru Amazon at the same time.

If there is no solution to this problem, can I upgrade the drives to the new Premium Plextors and pay the difference in cost? I burn CD's of radio commercials for clients and cannot take the chance that they might not play correctly in their players.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 12:46:31 -0700

Plextor has no 'upgrade' plan to change drives. No CDR drive manufacturer does... What would we do with older drives??

The only time we've run into this problem is with either an eide controller problem, or a media issue. Changing to different media is a good idea, as is putting the DMA jumper on the back of the drive to put it into multiword dma mode and/or updating the eide controller drivers.

You can also try burning at a slower speed or use a different version of CDR software to see what that does, too.

Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 2:18 PM

I have used the DMA jumper....no change. I upgraded the drivers for my IEDE controller....no change. I upgraded the bios on my Gateway to the very newest version....no change. I tried cheaper Memorex 48x rated media....no change.

Once again, most CD players will play back these discs fine. But a few CD players, including a professional Denon and a professional Marantz will not play discs made with this new Plextor. I can't take the chance that the client's CD player won't play his new commercial. This is precisely why I spent the extra money on Plextor drives over a Lite On; along with the fact that my old Plextor 16x burner never once burned a coaster.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:30:51 -0700

Well, Memorex media never works properly, so I expect that to fail!

This is very typical of a media problem, as we've said before. This doesn't appear to be a drive issue at all. What would you like us to do?

Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 3:33 PM

I agree. Memorex is not a brand I normally ever use.

Can you recommend some different media to use? So far, I have purchased Mitsui Silver CD-R's (MIT200) and TAIYO YUDEN Silver CD-R's (TY800-48x) from National Audio Company. I have also used Fuji 48x certified CD-R's (made by TAIYO YUDEN). They all exhibit the same problem. These are all highly recommended from your own website.

Why does my older Plextor 16/10/40A and a newer Lite On 48x burner not have any problems with this exact same media?

I feel like I flushed $200 down the drain if the PX-W4824A is truly that finicky of a drive, since I purchased two of them. Plus I have recommended Plextor's to quite a few people.

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:39:04 -0700

Are you having the same problem with both of the 48/24/48 drives? If so, then it's got to be something other than the drive itself.

I've never used the Taiyo Yuden silver discs, only their gold ones. I also use a lot of Verbatim and have no problems at all with them.

Am I not explaining things well enough to Plextor? Am I expecting too much from this drive to have it work properly from the above mentioned media? If the 48/24/48 drives are really that finicky, I can't afford to use them.

Anyone else have any ideas?

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 24
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 5/22/2003 6:04:14 AM   
Destroyer123

quote:
Originally posted by Demodave

I tried several things with Plextor to fix this problem and was ultimately told that the media recommeded on their website isn't compatible with my Plextor burner. Here are the e-mail exchanges:

quote:

I am having a problem burning audio CD's. The very beginning of the disc is difficult for some home CD players to read with lots of static and clicking. Farther into the disc, the problem goes away and the disc plays fine. I used to have a Plextor 16X burner and never had a problem with the burned CD's. I bought two Plextor PX-W4824A drives and upgraded both to latest firmware of v1.04 and both have the exact same problem on two different computers. I tried the diagnostic mode on the drive and it reported no problems. Here is the setup on my home computer:

* Pentium III 800 MHz on a motherboard with an Intel chipset
* 2 Maxtor hard drives on the Primary IDE chain
* Plextor PX-W4824A on the Secondary IDE master
* Lite-On DVD drive on the Secondary IDE slave
* Windows XP Professional Edition
* Nero Burning ROM

The work computer is similar except that it has a Pentium 4 1.4 GHz processor and is running Windows 2000. The media I use is top-notch....Mitsui Silver and TY Silver disc.

I have read about others with this same problem from other users on the various CD-R internet forums, but have never seen a solution posted.

I have attached the text file output from Nero's Info Tool from my home system, which will give you every detail of my system including the serial number of my Plextor drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

--Dave Martin

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:00:22 -0700

Nothing in your message here describes the 'problem' very well.

What is the EXACT error message you get?

Most often noise on a disc is from the disc media or the eide settings on your computer. You may have to experiment a bit to find out which media works best with your CD player.

Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 11:40 AM

I'll try to explain the problem a bit better...

When burning an audio CD, I get a static sound / skipping at the beginning of the CD. The Plextor will play it back fine, but three different audio CD players have problems with the burned discs. This problem happens with two different kinds of media: TY 48 disc and Mitsui Silver discs. Both of these are considered the best available and are recommended on your website.

I used to burn CD's with a Plextor 16/10/40a IDE burner and never once did I have a problem...a perfect burn every time. All three of the mentioned home CD players never had a problem with discs burned with the older Plextor.

I also borrowed a Lite On 48 burner from a friend and the burns were perfect and played back everywhere. I just have the problem with the new Plextors.

I have DMA enabled on all IDE channels....I have tried installing Intel's Application Accelerator (and un-installing it) with no luck.

I have read about others who have had this same problem on some of the internet forums. Is the first time anyone has ever brought this particular problem up to Plextor support?

From your message below, it seems that the media choice is not good....what should I use then? I am using what is considered the best media available. This same media always worked fine on the Plextor 16/10/40a. Is it possible that there is a flaw on both of my Plextor PX-W4842A drives? They were purchased thru Amazon at the same time.

If there is no solution to this problem, can I upgrade the drives to the new Premium Plextors and pay the difference in cost? I burn CD's of radio commercials for clients and cannot take the chance that they might not play correctly in their players.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 12:46:31 -0700

Plextor has no 'upgrade' plan to change drives. No CDR drive manufacturer does... What would we do with older drives??

The only time we've run into this problem is with either an eide controller problem, or a media issue. Changing to different media is a good idea, as is putting the DMA jumper on the back of the drive to put it into multiword dma mode and/or updating the eide controller drivers.

You can also try burning at a slower speed or use a different version of CDR software to see what that does, too.

Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 2:18 PM

I have used the DMA jumper....no change. I upgraded the drivers for my IEDE controller....no change. I upgraded the bios on my Gateway to the very newest version....no change. I tried cheaper Memorex 48x rated media....no change.

Once again, most CD players will play back these discs fine. But a few CD players, including a professional Denon and a professional Marantz will not play discs made with this new Plextor. I can't take the chance that the client's CD player won't play his new commercial. This is precisely why I spent the extra money on Plextor drives over a Lite On; along with the fact that my old Plextor 16x burner never once burned a coaster.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:30:51 -0700

Well, Memorex media never works properly, so I expect that to fail!

This is very typical of a media problem, as we've said before. This doesn't appear to be a drive issue at all. What would you like us to do?

Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 3:33 PM

I agree. Memorex is not a brand I normally ever use.

Can you recommend some different media to use? So far, I have purchased Mitsui Silver CD-R's (MIT200) and TAIYO YUDEN Silver CD-R's (TY800-48x) from National Audio Company. I have also used Fuji 48x certified CD-R's (made by TAIYO YUDEN). They all exhibit the same problem. These are all highly recommended from your own website.

Why does my older Plextor 16/10/40A and a newer Lite On 48x burner not have any problems with this exact same media?

I feel like I flushed $200 down the drain if the PX-W4824A is truly that finicky of a drive, since I purchased two of them. Plus I have recommended Plextor's to quite a few people.

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:39:04 -0700

Are you having the same problem with both of the 48/24/48 drives? If so, then it's got to be something other than the drive itself.

I've never used the Taiyo Yuden silver discs, only their gold ones. I also use a lot of Verbatim and have no problems at all with them.

Am I not explaining things well enough to Plextor? Am I expecting too much from this drive to have it work properly from the above mentioned media? If the 48/24/48 drives are really that finicky, I can't afford to use them.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Demodave: I believe your problem is with faulty 48/24/48A drives. You may wish to double check IDE connections and check if there are options in the BIOS which (if changed) may solve the problem. You have easily convinced me that your problem is not the media! You could, if you *wish* test the drive with Verbatim DataLifePlus Super Azo 48X certified media--this is the media that Plextor ships with all their newer Plextor 48/24/48A drives. Also, their Premium drive ships with the exact same media, except that it is the 52X certified Verbatim DataLifePlus Super Azo. What firmware are you using? Make sure you are using the latest 1.04 firmware, and also try burning at lower speeds. Lowering the speeds is not a solution, since lowering the speed just avoids the problem, and I would not accept that as a solution, if I were you. However, lowering the speeds may work for you as a temporary work around. You may wish to experiment with firmware versions other than 1.04 to see if that helps, too.

I found, in my experience with the 48/24/48A drive, that it is a poor quality buggy drive with a lot of problems. I went through 3 of the 48/24/48A drives, and this was for a *single* drive upgrade. The first drive was excessively loud (much louder than my Liteon DVD-ROM drive), and the second two had intermittent problems full erasing/writing to Verbatim Ultra Speed CD-RW discs. I gave up after the third drive and demanded a refund from Plextor! And I got that refund! I tried everything, including the diagostic test, the DMA jumper, etc. BTW, before Plextor will return your drive, you should do the diagnostic self test listed in the manual, but don't believe that if it passes that the drive is good! I had a lot of lousy support from Plextor like you did, including a lot of email support from Jack! That's right, the same guy you are communicating with. His support is terrible--he has an attitude problem and he will never admit that there is a problem with the Plextor hardware! He always blames the media or the eide setup or something else, but never the Plextor hardware. I can tell after reading his emails to you that he hasn't gotten any better! Demodave: can you return these drives to the vendor you bought them from? If you are beyond the return time frame (often 30 days), then you need special help. You really don't want another two 48/24/48A drives, because you are likely to run into the same problem with them! I got my refund (after the 30 days the store allowed me to return it) by going through a process with the Director of Engineering at Plextor America. First, I would try the phone support, if you don't get anywhere with them, post back here and I will give you Director of Engineering's contact info. He will want to test the drive to try to find where the problem is and will want to give you a replacement, and if the replacement drive doesn't work any better for you, he'll give you a refund! Only go this route if you have given phone support a shot. One other thing: the Plextor Premium drive did solve this problem for one user who returned the 48/24/48A and bought a Premium drive. It is my belief that the Premium drive (besides its many more features) provides traditional Plextor quality and would work for you if you want to trust Plextor again. But, I couldn't go that route, since the Plextor Premium wasn't out after I got my refund for the 48/24/48A. I now have a Liteon made TDK 52/24/48 and couldn't be happier. If I needed to buy a CD-RW drive now, I still would not buy a Plextor Premium drive, because Plextor ticked me off so highly that I may not ever be able to trust them again.

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 25
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 5/24/2003 6:32:19 AM   
clawso1

A Plextor Tech told me that Plextor is now replacing all drives manufactured before Oct 2002 that have the VIBRATION problem, I just sent mine off today! Clint I hope that the drive I get back operates like yours. Also, maybe the new drive won't have any problems with Verbatim CD/RW 16x - 24x disc either.

Regards
Cal

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 26
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 5/24/2003 8:34:37 AM   
Destroyer123

quote:
Originally posted by clawso1

A Plextor Tech told me that Plextor is now replacing all drives manufactured before Oct 2002 that have the VIBRATION problem, I just sent mine off today! Clint I hope that the drive I get back operates like yours. Also, maybe the new drive won't have any problems with Verbatim CD/RW 16x - 24x disc either.

I wouldn't count on a new 48/24/48A not having Ultra Speed CD-RW problems or crakl noise issues. My last Plextor 48/24/48A was a TLA #0102 November made drive and it still had the Ultra Speed CD-RW problem. Count on nothing but trouble from the Plextor 48/24/48A. I am glad I got my refund and have a Liteon made burner that is fast, writes with good quality, and works perfectly. I just wish someone could send me a 48/24/48A drive that they don't want so I can throw it out a window or beat it with a sledgehammer. Or I could be nice and just use it as a paper weight.

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 27
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 5/24/2003 5:38:23 PM   
clawso1

Destroyer123 sounds like you are really on the OUTs with Plextor! Well, I guess since you don't have a Plextor drive anymore you will be joining the lite-on threads huh? [^]

Regards
Cal

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 28
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 5/25/2003 3:02:24 AM   
RedDragon

Just one question.

I very rarely copy audio cds 1 to 1. I always rip the album to mp3 format first with CDex and then re-copy to audio format with nero, I have had static in the past when copying an audio cd 1 to 1.

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 29
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 5/25/2003 5:30:07 AM   
MP3Mogul

Never, EVER copy CD (audio) 1 to 1. It is always ALWAYS better to rip to CD (to wave format) and then burn a backup of the CD.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 30
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 6/4/2003 7:18:56 PM   
chevysales

while that may have been true a few years back or still now with damaged/scratches discs it is not the case now.

assuming a few basics like good clean source material and up to date hardware along with software that is audio capable (these things are also needed for clean rips) a 1 to 1 copy is every bit as good as ripped wavs.

adding another step into the process when its not necessary is not always helpful.

quote:
Originally posted by MP3Mogul

Never, EVER copy CD (audio) 1 to 1. It is always ALWAYS better to rip to CD (to wave format) and then burn a backup of the CD.

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 31
RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor - 8/16/2003 7:59:22 AM   
Molextor

From my experience, with a 8432A, media is crucial. This burner simply can't handle bad quality media. lead data, seantram technology, auvistar ind., are some examples of cheap media that will produce such problems as that static *****le noise, mainly on the first tracks. Other burners will do ok with these discs, Plextor burners won't. [:(!] But the media problem has already been covered here. About IDE: just use your plextor burner ALONE, with a regular ATA33 flat, connected to the mboard controller. It won't work with Promise cards. IMHO, as a user of Plextor, their products are over-rated, over-hyped, over-priced. Plextor built a reputation in those times when readers and burners plainly sucked. They were good back then.. shure.. 'cause other manufacturers products were poor on features. Plextor drives could just do more (they costed more too). But those times are gone.
---------------------------
Now for RedDragon 'I always rip the album to mp3 format first with CDex and then re-copy to audio format with nero': WHY THE F**K WOULD YOU DO THAT? [:(!] YFI [}:)]

-- lossless compression only --

(in reply to missimc)
Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Static crakl noise audio cd 48/24/48a Plextor Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI