CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Connecticut Man Accused Of Selling Microsoft Code !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1411 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Connecticut Man Accused Of Selling Microsoft Code ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Connecticut Man Accused Of Selling Microsoft Code ! - 11/10/2004 6:34:58 PM   
SiliconFreak

A Connecticut computer hacker was arrested yesterday and charged with selling copies of Microsoft Windows proprietary source code.

The United States attorney's office said the hacker, William O. Genovese Jr., 27, of Meriden, Conn., used a Web site to unlawfully distribute the programming blueprints behind the Microsoft NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 operating systems.

"This is someone who stole and attempted to sell for profit some valuable asset of Microsoft," said Tom Rubin, the associate general counsel for Microsoft. "It is our secret recipe, our secret formula like the Coke formula."

The arrest is the most significant legal action to emerge from an F.B.I. investigation into the theft of Microsoft's source code; the inquiry began earlier this year and is continuing.

Though sometimes Microsoft has provided its source code to business partners and government agencies, access is tightly guarded because it can allow software developers to replicate the program and hackers to exploit vulnerabilities in the operating system, which is used on hundreds of millions of computers.

In mid-February, the complaint said, Mr. Genovese obtained a stolen copy of the Windows source code and posted a message on his Web site that he was willing to sell it.
Full story...

Source : The New York Times
Post #: 1
RE: Connecticut Man Accused Of Selling Microsoft Code ! - 11/11/2004 10:26:47 AM   
S33K3R

personaly I don't think coke is all that great

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Connecticut Man Accused Of Selling Microsoft Code ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI