CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Czech Virus Writer Joins Anti-Virus Firm !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 689 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Czech Virus Writer Joins Anti-Virus Firm ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Czech Virus Writer Joins Anti-Virus Firm ! - 11/8/2004 6:16:25 PM   
SiliconFreak

A prominent former virus writer has secured a job developing anti-virus software. Benny, one-time member of the 29A virus writing group, has begun work as the main developer of Zoner Anti-Virus (ZAV), according to an entry on his home page.

Zoner Anti-Virus is developed by Zoner Software, a small company based in Brno in the Czech Republic. Most anti-virus firms refuse to employ virus writers because it’s bad for public relations. In general, the industry wants to distance itself from malware authors and to discourage the idea that writing viruses is a path into a lucrative career in computer security. There's also the concern that potential customers could be put off from buying security software written by someone who once created malicious code.

We wanted to put these points to Zoner Software but no-one qualified to comment was available at the time of writing . Benny has yet to respond to our email enquiries. Benny, who's still in his early 20s, was involved in the computer virus underground for five years, culminating in his membership of 29A (hex for '666'). 29A is well known for developing proof of concept code not mass mailing viruses.

In an interview with the New York Times Benny said he decided to write a virus designed to infect Windows 2000 two weeks before the release of the OS, his most famous exploit, in order to humiliate the software giant. He claimed never to have released any of the viruses he wrote.

Since that article was published in February, Benny has turned over a new leaf. Although the rehabilitation of virus writers is to be encouraged it’s questionable whether even reformed VXers belong in the IT security industry. Anti-virus firms say the skills needed to develop security software are different from those needed to write malicious code. Better for former VXers to apply their programming skills outside IT security, the argument goes.

German security company Securepoint created a similar controversy back in September when it hired Sven Jaschan, self-confessed creator of the notoriously destructive NetSky and Sasser worms, as a trainee software developer.

Source : TheRegister
Post #: 1
RE: Czech Virus Writer Joins Anti-Virus Firm ! - 11/11/2004 8:59:12 AM   
Zoner

Hello all,

I'm a member of the staff of Zoner's other division (we have two), which writes graphics and digital-photography software. (It publishes English versions of these via its American branch Zoner, Inc. and the domain zoner.com.) As mentioned in the original post, it's a small company, about 50 people, so despite being in the "other half" of the company, I have lunch with Benny occasionally, and spent some time talking with him at the last firm outing. I must admit I didn't know about his virus scene membership until the Register story broke out; Zoner is small, but not THAT small.

As hinted at in the original post, Benny's case is somewhat different than that of the Sasser writer, in that Benny has not released viruses into the wild. His main passion is writing proofs of concept, proving that this or that virus technique is possible. Take that as you may.

I'm not sure if it's the Register that couldn't reach us, or the original poster; in any case I regret the fact and perhaps can provide some answers.

Erik Piper
ZONER software/Zoner, Inc.

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Czech Virus Writer Joins Anti-Virus Firm ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI