CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Win98 blue screen on boot after Nero install   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 700 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Win98 blue screen on boot after Nero install Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Win98 blue screen on boot after Nero install - 2/2/2003 2:33:38 AM   
sundevil_1997

I just did a complete reformat/reinstall on my computer, and it was going fine...until I installed the Nero software. now it gives me a blue screen twice on bootup. I have to reboot 3 times before it finally continues on to windows. I have Nero 5.5.10.0, and can't get the lastest version.

Now here's the catch...this is a known problem by Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=197004

However, since I've missed the window (haha!) of opportunity to contact them today, I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and has the fix already. I remember a time long ago where they actually made solutions available when they knew a problem existed. Ah well.
Post #: 1
RE: Win98 blue screen on boot after Nero install - 2/2/2003 6:47:17 PM   
Matthew

http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/LWIK-3ZSTFK.html

The file here appears to contain the specified version
Good luck!

You have to unpack it to a floppy, and manually replace the file

(in reply to sundevil_1997)
Post #: 2
RE: Win98 blue screen on boot after Nero install - 2/2/2003 10:29:26 PM   
sundevil_1997

quote:
Originally posted by Matthew

http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/LWIK-3ZSTFK.html

The file here appears to contain the specified version
Good luck!

You have to unpack it to a floppy, and manually replace the file

I think that was the file I was looking for. Turns out it was a nero problem after all, though. I had thought I'd downloaded the lastest Nero patch, but it was from their mirror site, and going back I discovered it wasn't the latest. Downloaded the latest latest version (10.7) and no problems since. Thanks, though. I'll hold onto this file in case I have more problems.

Post #: 3
RE: Win98 blue screen on boot after Nero install - 2/3/2003 12:10:46 AM   
KCK

Maybe your previous installation of Nero 5.5.10.0 was corrupt. On my 98SE box, I'm still running Nero 5.5.10.0 and the original

CDVSD.VXD 32,419 04-23-99 10:22p

with a Toshiba SD-C2102 DVD-ROM and a Lite-On LTR48125W burner, without any BSODs. BTW, you never told us which version of Windows you are running, whether you installed all the MS patches, and what readers and burners you have on your box.

Post #: 4
RE: Win98 blue screen on boot after Nero install - 2/3/2003 1:25:08 AM   
sundevil_1997

quote:
Originally posted by KCK

Maybe your previous installation of Nero 5.5.10.0 was corrupt. On my 98SE box, I'm still running Nero 5.5.10.0 and the original

CDVSD.VXD 32,419 04-23-99 10:22p

with a Toshiba SD-C2102 DVD-ROM and a Lite-On LTR48125W burner, without any BSODs. BTW, you never told us which version of Windows you are running, whether you installed all the MS patches, and what readers and burners you have on your box.

Ya, I left out a lot of specific info because the problem already seemed solved, via the support site....they just didn't bother to post what the fix was. I was hoping to find someone who had had the same problem and knew the fix.

I'm not surprised you haven't experienced the problems, as the windows site says the problem was fixed with Win98SE. I've got Win98. :( I've got an AOpen DVD player and a Lite-On 48X burner. I thought the latest patch fixed them, but I just ejected my CD out of the DVD drive....and got a BSOD again. I guess I'll have to try the update listed above and hope it works.

Post #: 5
RE: Win98 blue screen on boot after Nero install - 2/3/2003 4:07:07 AM   
KCK

So did you install the MS 98 patches etc. via Windows Update? See

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/default.asp

I have no experience with 98, but when I had to reinstall 98SE after an HDD failure last August, the first thing I did after reinstalling was call up Windows Update, and it downloaded quite a lot. I would definitely try Windows Update first before resorting to the IBM patch.

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Win98 blue screen on boot after Nero install Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI