CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Redesigned PlayStation 2 Officially Available !!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1356 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Game News >> Redesigned PlayStation 2 Officially Available !! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Redesigned PlayStation 2 Officially Available !! - 11/1/2004 8:05:21 PM   
T3TRISizer

Don't call it a comeback for the "PSTwo", it's been here for weeks (literally)...

Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) announced today the availability of a new, redesigned PlayStation 2. This new PS2 (still called the "PSTwo" by many, despite Sony's insistence that the new redesigned system is still to be called the PS2), should be available nationwide at thousands of various retailers. In fact, the new PS2 has been widely available for the past couple of weeks, and many consumers (including this reporter) have already gotten a chance to see the system up close and personal.

"Response to the new PlayStation 2 has been amazing," said Dan DeMatteo, President and COO of GameStop, a leading videogame retailer. "We've seen a steady increase in consumer demand throughout our stores nationwide, with sales of PlayStation 2 rising to well above our expectations."

Incorporating the same functionalities and technology of the original, the new PS2 has been modified and as a result, internal volume has been reduced by 75 percent, overall weight has been halved, and thickness trimmed over 35 percent to slightly larger than a DVD case. Built-in Ethernet enables out-of-the-box online gaming, and unlike any other gaming console, an analog modem port is also included for non-broadband gaming. The new console includes the same two memory-card slots and two controller slots, the same USB functionality as the original PS2, and comes with one DualShock 2 analog controller. Additionally, the unit now comes with an external AC power adaptor to reduce power consumption and a new round base, sold separately, for vertical display.

"The introduction of the redesigned unit came when we felt it was strategically the best timing to expand the market, and it's gratifying to see consumers respond so positively as we enter the holiday selling season," said Jack Tretton, executive vice president, Sony Computer Entertainment America. "Consumers continue to place their confidence in the longevity of PlayStation 2, which we see as absolutely essential to the health of the industry."

While Sony recently reported a decline in PS2 sales for the second financial quarter of this year, they stated that production of the older PS2 model were cut back in anticipation of the new PS2. Sony even upped the amount of PS2 units they expected to ship worldwide this year. With a hot holiday lineup (that includes Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Jak 3 among others) and the new PS2 console, Sony is hoping to further add to the already impressive number of 27 million PS2 units already sold in the US.

Source : SonyGamerFeed
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Game News >> Redesigned PlayStation 2 Officially Available !! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI