CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

UK Takes Linux To The Heart Of Government !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1239 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> UK Takes Linux To The Heart Of Government ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
UK Takes Linux To The Heart Of Government ! - 10/29/2004 4:46:54 PM   
LinuxMarshall

Open source software is a viable alternative to commercial proprietary software, with potential significant value-for-money benefits for government, the Office of Government Commerce (OGC) has concluded.

A newly published OGC report detailing the results of open source pilot schemes has advised that open source software has reached an acceptable level of development to offer a viable desktop alternative for the majority of government users.

It also dismissed claims that Linux is plagued by interoperability issues, saying that such concerns are no longer a major issue.

The bottom line, according to the OGC, is that open source software can generate "significant savings", particularly in conjunction with server consolidation and by delaying hardware replacement.

By extending the life of hardware Linux also has potential 'green' benefits, as fewer resources are consumed in producing new hardware and less waste is generated disposing of old machines.

The OGC's chief executive, John Oughton, said: "These pilots have provided us with valuable evidence on open source software. They show it could support government bodies by offering efficient and cost-effective IT solutions.

"Effective use of IT is a crucial element in the government's modernisation agenda. This report will assist public sector bodies in making informed, value-for-money judgements when deciding upon which solution best suits their needs."

The pilot schemes were carried out in partnership with a number of government bodies, IBM and Sun Microsystems, and allowed a number of public sector bodies to assess the potential benefits of open source software in a 'live' environment.

Source : VNUNet
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> UK Takes Linux To The Heart Of Government ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI