CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

NEC 6500 un-official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Updated!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 678 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> NEC >> NEC 6500 un-official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Updated! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NEC 6500 un-official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Updated! - 10/26/2004 4:18:37 PM   
emperor

At this thread you can find information about the released un-official firmware for NEC 6500A and related OEM drives.

A) The Basic Stuff

Q: Whats the purpose of those un-official firmware?
A: The main idea behind the un-official firmware is to offer additional "improvements" in terms of:

* RPC1: Region Free Drive
* Riplock: Removes 6X limit when ripping CSS DVD-Video discs
* ID: Change the ID of an official released firmware
* Media hacks: Change (usually increase) the writing speeds for specific DVD+/-R media

Q: I like the main idea, but why NEC doesn't offer the above features from box?
A: NEC as a member of the DVD-Forum must include RPC2 region protection for all DVD recorders. The Riplock is an additional measurement to prevent ripping that many companies have adopted, of course there is the official excuse that prevents noise/vibration when playback DVD-Video discs.

Q: Is it safe to use the un-official firmware?
A: Yes, you can go back to your original firmware anytime with the "correct" flasher.

Q: I see at many firmware the SE letters, what this mean?
A: Usually used to state the differences from the official firmware (SE=Special Edition)
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> NEC >> NEC 6500 un-official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Updated! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI