CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 743 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 10/26/2004 11:28:22 AM   
sulfur

Hi all,

I need to burn 100+ photo DVDs for distribution to relatives & friends.

I have a NEC 3500 with 2.C8. Considering 100 spindle Maxell 4x, either +R or -R (because they're on clearance).

Assuming they will all have different brands/models of DVD players for TV (ie not ROM/DVDR), which one would give me maximum compatibility, +R with booktype setting to DVD-ROM, or -R?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 10/26/2004 12:19:45 PM   
arith

People are saying the bitsetting ability to set DVD+R's booktype to DVD-ROM will have more than 99% compatibility, well, not 100%

Then will DVD-R have 100% compabitility?

I doubt if all DVD-Player support for DVD-R media.

(in reply to sulfur)
Post #: 2
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 10/26/2004 12:49:55 PM   
Halcyon

DVD+R with bitsetting will in almost every case be more/as compatible than/as DVD-R. Meaning, statistically dvd+r (only when bitset to dvd-rom) is more compatible in general than dvd-r.

(in reply to arith)
Post #: 3
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 10/27/2004 2:17:29 AM   
Iggy

I believe DVD+R with booktype set to DVD-ROM have 100% compatibility. Is there any player that cannot read DVD-ROMs? If yes then it cannot read pressed media also.

(in reply to Halcyon)
Post #: 4
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 10/27/2004 3:36:43 AM   
Halcyon

I believe that as well. However, the proper way to approach this is statistically as we haven't tested all the dvd players in the world :)

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 5
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 10/27/2004 10:10:00 AM   
Iggy

OK, this is correct.

But I still believe that if a player cannot play a DVD-ROM then what it could? isn't this logical?

(in reply to Halcyon)
Post #: 6
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 10/27/2004 2:35:06 PM   
Halcyon

That's true (if it can't play dvd rom, it most likely can't play any other dvd disc type). However, that is only the logical layer of the disc. One must also consider the signal layer of the disc.

DVD-ROM specifications are not the same as DVD+R specifications.

For instance, DVD specifications set the DC jitter limit at 8% of the bit clock period (for the channel being read) for DVD-ROM and DVD-R.

For DVD+R this limit is 9% of the bit clock period (same timing window size).

So, at least in theory, it is possible to make a disc that is a within specifications for DVD+R, but does not conform to a player that can play back all DVD-ROM conformant discs (but no more).

Or in set theory terms: dvd+r and dvd-rom sets are partly overlapping. The part that overlaps contains those DVD+R discs that are bitset to dvd-rom AND the dc jitter of which is <8% of the timing window.

So, it would be possible for a dvd+r (bitset to dvd-rom) to be 'unreadable' in a player that can read DVD-R discs (if the drive is really jitter sensitive). In reality, this is howerever quite unlikely.

But then again reality can be even more muddled.

One thing that I've learned in my short optical storage journey is that specifications are not reality: you cannot take a walk inside a map. It's just a picture of what reality looks like, but not always accurate.

regards,
halcyon

PS This is very academic, mainly for the amusement of myself and Iggy. For those worrying about compatibility: dvd+r with bitsetting is more compatible (Iggy and I both agree on that).

< Message edited by Halcyon -- 10/27/2004 2:38:04 PM >

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 7
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 10/27/2004 5:04:18 PM   
Iggy

Great answer, well done Mate!

(in reply to Halcyon)
Post #: 8
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 10/28/2004 12:51:20 AM   
arith

That's why I doubt DVD+R with booktyp to DVD-ROM is more compitable than DVD-R

But, how many percent of DVD-Players don't support DVD-R? (Very old model........)

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 9
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 10/28/2004 7:20:53 AM   
Iggy

DVD+R can be burned with great quality from many burners while DVD-R not from too many.

(in reply to arith)
Post #: 10
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 10/29/2004 5:54:06 PM   
sulfur

Local TYs (Vancouver) are still pretty expensive. Even at NCIX they are twice as expensive as Rima!

I went to check out some Maxells & Fujis at various stores, and I found an interesting thing.

Most of the DVD-R 25x & 50x & some 100x spindles are made in Japan.

But all of the DVD+R 25x & 50x & 100x spindles are made in Taiwan or have wrappings that says Japan but covered with a printed sticker that says made in Taiwan. Bummer.

If I must choose Taiwan made DVD+R, is Taiwan Fuji better than Taiwan Maxell or are they from the same factory? The cost for these guys are C$0.80 + 14% tax (about US$0.65 + 14%)

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 11
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 10/30/2004 7:08:46 AM   
Iggy

As far as I know most Maxell are Taiyo Yuden, in this case I would go for them. Even if they are with MXL ID are still very good.

(in reply to sulfur)
Post #: 12
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 11/3/2004 6:15:52 PM   
rrwantr

I burned a backup of Man on Fire with my NEC 3500 with TY 8x set as DVDROM and it works in all 4 of my dvd players but does not work in my brothers 1.5 yr old dvd player but works in a portable he has.

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 13
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 11/4/2004 1:30:52 AM   
Iggy

Strange, which model is it?

< Message edited by Iggy -- 11/4/2004 1:45:48 AM >

(in reply to rrwantr)
Post #: 14
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 11/5/2004 8:40:25 AM   
RickTheRed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iggy

I believe DVD+R with booktype set to DVD-ROM have 100% compatibility. Is there any player that cannot read DVD-ROMs? If yes then it cannot read pressed media also.

Close to 100%, but not 100%
I know two standalone units, one Samsung and one Zenith (I do not know the zenith model#, maybe it's a rebadge samsung - I don't know) that will only play DVD+R with booktype set to DVD+R. These units will not load dvd+R with booktype set at dvd-rom.

These two units are combo players (vhs/dvd).
I am sorry for the bad news but maybe we can say compatible at 99.9%

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 15
RE: DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility - 11/5/2004 3:07:46 PM   
Iggy

OK this true. Practical it is not 100% but 99.9%.

Have you tried with different media?

(in reply to RickTheRed)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> DVD +R or -R for Maximum Compatibility Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI