CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Which FW should I go with?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 605 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> NEC >> Which FW should I go with? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which FW should I go with? - 10/14/2004 6:19:47 PM   
Shual

I'm about to get my new 3500A drive, and I'm quite confused with the list of firmwares available for it.
The thing I care about the most is the writing quality for both DVD and CD-R media (still burning lots of CDs). The thing I don't really care about (for now) is DL support, as DL media are VERY expansive here.
I do want to back up a couple of video DVDs, if this matters.

What would be the best, most-compatible firmware for me?

Another question: Could you please direct me to an explanation of all DVD formats and features (like what are different zones for, what's bitsetting, etc...)? I'm sure there's a page somewhere that explains all that, but I wasn't able to find it... :(

Thanks ahead for your answer, and thanks for the great site and forums! I learn lots of new stuff every day here!
Post #: 1
RE: Which FW should I go with? - 10/14/2004 6:30:46 PM   
emperor

Usually the latest firmware is the best...New firmware for 3500 expected next week...

(in reply to Shual)
Post #: 2
RE: Which FW should I go with? - 10/14/2004 6:35:47 PM   
Shual

Thanks for the quick reply!
Is the latest OFFICIAL firmware is the best? Should I just wait a couple of days, get NEC's latest FW and I'm done? Because I see there are lots of unofficial (some are claimed to be better) Firmwares...

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 3
RE: Which FW should I go with? - 10/14/2004 7:03:17 PM   
SilentBob

I am loving the 2C8se firmware. I have been burning up a storm, preparing for a complete hdd format, and this FW has been great to me so far. I am burning TY02 at 12x with no CRC errors reported by DVDinfoPro and the burns are all completing well under 7 minutes. ITS GREAT... but that's just my 2-cents.

(in reply to Shual)
Post #: 4
RE: Which FW should I go with? - 10/15/2004 2:42:38 AM   
emperor

The un-official firmware have different features than the official in terms of, adding special features, which are not present at the official. Remember that the un-official firmware are based upon official, if no media hacks are applied.

(in reply to SilentBob)
Post #: 5
RE: Which FW should I go with? - 10/15/2004 1:18:38 PM   
ssiu

Hi Emperor,
After I read your reply 2 days ago I decided to go for the 2c8se for my nec 3500a. Your reply is very helpful. But I can't do it right away. I have to finish a project for my wife before I can do anything to the drive. I have to backup 12 disc for her before I can update the firmware. I'm planning to work on it this weekend. Last night I read the Hardwarezone forum. TDK of Singapore said the 2c9 is coming shortly. The improvement included riplock disable. I thought on 2c8 is already disable the rip lock (That's the main reason I want to update my drive). Am I missing something?

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 6
RE: Which FW should I go with? - 10/16/2004 3:53:53 AM   
emperor

The official v2.C8 supports riplock, but the un-official released v2.C8 SE doesn't

(in reply to ssiu)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> NEC >> Which FW should I go with? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI