CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

BitTorrent Threatens DVD Profits !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 679 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> BitTorrent Threatens DVD Profits ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BitTorrent Threatens DVD Profits ! - 10/11/2004 1:21:26 PM   
SiliconFreak

A radical new technology threatens to do to Hollywood what Napster did to the music industry.

It's called BitTorrent and is much faster than other file-swapping software used to exchange movies and music over the Internet. In fact, BitTorrent can transfer a feature-length film in about two hours — a fraction of the 12 hours it typically takes with file-sharing services like Kazaa.

As BitTorrent becomes mainstream, it imperils the movie studios' most lucrative source of revenue — the $17.5 billion the industry reaped last year from DVD sales and rentals.

Hollywood has yet to find a way to thwart BitTorrent's distribution of bootlegged copies of new films like "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow," or the latest episode of hot cable television shows like "Nip/Tuck."

Movies aren't the only large files that can be found on BitTorrent distribution Web sites like www.torrentreactor.net or www.suprnova.org. For instance, on Sept. 27, Torrentreactor offered copies of the Doom 3 video game and Apple's OS X operating system for Macintosh computers as well as dozens of other software titles.

With BitTorrent, a digital file — be it a movie like "Resident Evil," a bootlegged Grateful Dead concert or a software operating system — is chopped into digestible bits to accelerate the exchange. The more people downloading a particular file, the faster everyone gets it, for free.

Once a download is completed, the network disconnects and disappears without a trace. The ephemeral nature of BitTorrent exchanges creates a detection nightmare for companies like Loudeye, which are hired by the movie studios to disrupt online piracy.
Read more...

Source : SNL
Post #: 1
RE: BitTorrent Threatens DVD Profits ! - 10/12/2004 5:07:11 AM   
Cooler

NEW technology??

Quae dant, quaque negant, gaudent tamen esse rogatae.

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: BitTorrent Threatens DVD Profits ! - 10/12/2004 5:53:20 AM   
SiliconFreak

HAHAHHAHA...Funny isnt it?

But thats exactly what they said... I know that this "NEW TECHNOLOGY" has been arround for quite a while...but maybe the article author is new to computer world...so also this BitTorrent is kinda new for him also!?

Cya guys...ENJOY.

(in reply to Cooler)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> BitTorrent Threatens DVD Profits ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI