CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 771 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? - 10/2/2004 5:23:18 PM   
kiger

Now that I can't get Mitsui GOLD DVD-Rs anymore, and Pioneer stopped making their DVD-RW discs (along with all other discs), I'm at a loss of what to do...

1. My number one concern is the life of the disc. Obviously no one knows how long a disc will last, but what are your experiences regarding existing discs on the market. I also hear the Medical grade discs are good. Any feedback regarding them? (and if they can be burnt on a normal burner?)

2. My second concern is how easy the discs can be scratched. I'm in love with the TDK Armor Plated discs, but TDK in my mind doesn't fit the "long life" requirement... I haven't had any problems with them so far though, so...

3. Finally, I'm willing to spend up to $10 a disc. I want the absolute best money can buy so money is really no object.

So taking into consideration those three points, what are your recommendations on the BEST DVD-R and BEST DVD-RW?
Post #: 1
RE: BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? - 10/3/2004 7:13:21 AM   
Halcyon

Like you stated, there is no hard data out yet. All we can do is speculate, so let's :)

1. For longest life of the disc, I'd pick a quality factory with a quality known dye. Taiyo Yuden comes to mind as the top choice.

2. Medical grade discs are supposed to be ok (afaik, with higher quality control of the discs, that's why they cost so much more). They can be burned with all normal burners, afaik.

2. TDK Armor seems to be indeed one if not the most scratch resistant dvd media currently available. Initial error rates on consumer scanners (Plextor, LiteOn, AOpen, Optorite) are not among the best (at least in my experience). Longevity, who knows?

3. If you want absolutely the best money can buy, you should also consider the matter of the burner. Initial burn quality is always comprised of media and burner quality. So even if you use the 'best' media available, but with a bad or good, but incompatible burner, then you are not getting the best possible.

Also, storage matters as well. I'd consider using Unikeep or Archival Products dvd archival folders as storage containers (in a steady room temp, dry, dark place).

Furthermore, make sure you also have a good reader, because reader quality also matters when you finally want to read back the data off the discs you've burnt.

For now, I'd check that my drive produces the best quality burns with Tayo Yuden discs and then just buy them from a reputable source, hopefully with an additional label side protection layer (scratch resitant layer or printable layer).

Hopefully OSTA will publish the preliminary findings of their own dvd-r longevity study later this year.

regards,
halc

(in reply to kiger)
Post #: 2
RE: BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? - 10/3/2004 2:45:26 PM   
emperor

How about using DVD-RAM for your important storage needs? I know that limited drives (heh only one) supports it, but for sure has the highest durability specs

(in reply to Halcyon)
Post #: 3
RE: BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? - 10/4/2004 1:59:29 AM   
Iggy

TDK's scratched proof media is a good solution but DVD-RAM is even better. Otherwise if you want good -R media better go Taiyo Yuden.

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 4
RE: BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? - 10/4/2004 3:16:05 PM   
Halcyon

DVD-RAM has very good media and very good defect management.

The problem is that as phase change technology it is inherently much more chemically unstable than either DVD-R or DVD+R.

For long term storage DVD-RAM isn't even rated beyond 30 years. DVD-R/DVD+R is rated up to 100 years.

Now, nobody knows if any format discs will last as long as that, but the fact is that phase change is so much more unstable that even the manufacturers acknowledge that in their own ratings.

As such, I'm yet unsure of DVD-RAM's long term (5+ years) archival storage suitability. To be honest, I haven't really researched the issues more than this, but OSTA seems to agree with the given longevity ratings being lower for DVD-RAM.

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 5
RE: BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? - 10/4/2004 4:03:47 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I have to agree with Halc, although DVD-RAM has awesome defect management, the inherent instability in the phase change "dye" makes it much less likely to last the test of time. My suggestion would also be Taiyo Yuden... but I will narrow it down to Plextor Brand Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs. Why? Because Plextor is the *ONLY* OEM customer of Taiyo Yuden who actually pays more to get the media produced at the start of the run on a new stamper. The media is the best that Taiyo Yuden makes. Taiyo Yuden doesn't make "bad" media mind you, but if you want the best of the best, in a very literal sense, Plextor brand T.Y. is the way to go.

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to Halcyon)
Post #: 6
RE: BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? - 10/5/2004 3:06:07 AM   
Halcyon

That was very good info dolphinius! I will be willing to pay extra for Plextor TY discs from now on.

(in reply to Dolphinius_Rex)
Post #: 7
RE: BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? - 10/6/2004 11:21:21 PM   
NotesGooRoo

I have a separate book of data discs that get re-roasted once a year.

Yes, I am THAT anal!

Maybe this year I will consolidate from CD-R to DVD+R? Who knows?

-NGR

(in reply to kiger)
Post #: 8
RE: BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? - 10/7/2004 12:36:44 AM   
GenAn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dolphinius_Rex

I have to agree with Halc, although DVD-RAM has awesome defect management, the inherent instability in the phase change "dye" makes it much less likely to last the test of time. My suggestion would also be Taiyo Yuden... but I will narrow it down to Plextor Brand Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs. Why? Because Plextor is the *ONLY* OEM customer of Taiyo Yuden who actually pays more to get the media produced at the start of the run on a new stamper. The media is the best that Taiyo Yuden makes. Taiyo Yuden doesn't make "bad" media mind you, but if you want the best of the best, in a very literal sense, Plextor brand T.Y. is the way to go.

So Dolphinus, would you say that Plextor TY is even better than That's brand, or the bulk unbranded Taiyo Yuden spindles available online?

Post #: 9
RE: BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? - 10/7/2004 2:50:42 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

quote:

ORIGINAL: GenAn

So Dolphinus, would you say that Plextor TY is even better than That's brand, or the bulk unbranded Taiyo Yuden spindles available online?

I would say that Plextor brand media will ALWAYS be at LEAST as good as That's brand media, and unbranded Taiyo Yuden spindles available online. In most cases I would say better... but just because the Plextor brand media is guarenteed to be extra good, doesn't mean that some discs in the regular stuff won't reach the same level.

Sorry I'm not trying to be cryptic here, just covering all my bases

(in reply to GenAn)
Post #: 10
RE: BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? - 10/7/2004 12:28:01 PM   
kiger

Is this the Plextor TY?

Oh, and is this the only plextor disc that exists? I haven't found any -R Plextor discs yet.

< Message edited by kiger -- 10/7/2004 3:01:29 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? - 10/7/2004 4:41:17 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

quote:

ORIGINAL: kiger

Is this the Plextor TY?

Oh, and is this the only plextor disc that exists? I haven't found any -R Plextor discs yet.

Yup, that looks right. And yes, I think that Plextor only brands DVD+R media.

(in reply to kiger)
Post #: 12
RE: BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? - 11/6/2004 3:02:08 AM   
franz99

Hello !
I would like to know if anybody as experience with the new:
Maxell DVD-RAM (certified 5X) made with the BMC material
Is the given longevity of these DVD-RAM made with bismuth any longer than the one ones made with the traditional phase-change material ?
Are thes Maxell 5X DVD-RAL easy to get in the US ? Here in Europe is it nearly impossible !
Do you agree as least that DVD-RAM are far safer for precise DATA STRORAGE over of period of 3 to 5 years. I use them to bakup my sytems (Windows 98 and XP with a boot size of 4 GB) and my important datas. Nobody cares about a wrong pixel from time to time in a movie but what about restoring a XP system from a DVD-R or +R with some wrong bits at an important spot ?
If anybody has an advice about the best burner to use (Panasonic, LG 4120B or the hopefully coming Plextor using cartridge DVD-RAMs) the advice woulb be welcome
an have a nice day !

Post #: 13
RE: BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? - 11/6/2004 7:55:06 AM   
Iggy

I suggest an LG, which is also good in every other part. As for those Maxell I have a couple of them but I don't know how difficult or not is to be found.

(in reply to franz99)
Post #: 14
RE: BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? - 11/8/2004 1:02:18 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

quote:

ORIGINAL: franz99
Are thes Maxell 5X DVD-RAL easy to get in the US ?

I have a friend with a couple hundred thousand of them in a really big warehouse

Of course, he's one of Maxell's top reps in Canada...

Basically, the media is out and easily available if you know who to talk to... but retail stores don't sell a lot of DVD-RAM, so they have a huge overstock of 3x and even 2x DVD-RAM media they need to get rid of first. Also, 5x DVD-RAM is about twice the price of 3x DVD-RAM.

(in reply to franz99)
Post #: 15
RE: BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? - 11/8/2004 1:44:31 PM   
franz99

Thanks Dolphinius_Rex for yor answer . . .

Here in Europe retail stores are full of 3X cerified Maxell , Panasonic and Verbatim DVD-RAM's. There "real speed" while writing is around 1 to 1,2X
because of the process of control of the written data.
That's why I am interested in the 5X certified which are supposed to burn at an average speed of 2X to 2,3X (so it would be a faster to bachup a Go boot from a HD)

Do you know anything MORE about the quality
--- and especially reliabilty for DATA STORAGE ---
of these new 5X Maxell DVD-RAM's made with BMC material ? B stands for bismuth

Thanks a lot in advance . . .

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> BEST Archival DVD-R & DVD-RW Media? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI