CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1225 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/8/2002 1:42:43 PM   
AnimeVagabond

That's quite interesting, I thought I was safe with a 300W PSU (that's what is "recommended") but maybe I should bump myself up to a 400W for stability.

Thanks for the link that could very well be the problem.

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 49
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/17/2002 5:59:06 AM   
zvsmedia

FWIW I just ran into this problem to with the 16x. It worked really, really well until I migrated to XP, and then I hit this problem about a week after the "upgrade" (Which I have to have for work). The XP connection could be total coincidence, of course (but I'm wondering if there's some sort of instruction in the IDE driver that freaks out the LiteOn firmware). My mobo is an Abit BX6r2 (note: BX chipset).

I did the unplug/replug IDE cable workaround and it worked fine, but I swapped it with a 12x I had on an older Tyan board just to avoid future hassles and maybe gain some more data.

Hopefully we'll see a firmware fix for this!

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 50
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/17/2002 1:22:42 PM   
j00k

FWIW:

The two times that I had this tray-ejecting problem with my 24102B, they were fixed by me playing around with the jumpers (changing from master to slave and back again) in the back and powering the computer on and off until it stopped spitting the tray out.

Here's my setup:

AMD Athlon 1166MHz
ABIT KT7E
512MB PC133
Gainward GF3
SB Live Value
IBM 41GB 60GXP
Pioneer 16X DVD (IDE2 master)
LiteOn 24/10/40 (IDE2 slave)
Kingston 10/100 NIC
Generic 56K modem
Antec 300W PSU
2x80mm fan, 1 slot fan, 1 Delta 7K 60mm fan

I would think with all those components riding on that "puny" 300W, things would get pretty weird but the jumper trick seemed to fixed the problem for me. I do have to say that I wouldn't have this tray-ejecting problem if it weren't for the two times that I had to unplug my system and bring it over to my friend's house. The 2nd time occurred just yesterday when I took the LiteOn out and attached it to my uncle's computer.

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 51
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/22/2002 7:30:56 AM   
zvsmedia

More info for the grinder:
The 16x on the Tyan (VP3 mobo) hasn't had any issues as of now.

Does anyone have a known useful email address we can make suggestions to about a firmware fix?

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 52
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/23/2002 9:01:32 AM   
dimustrace

I've read through some of the posts here and I feel all of your pain. I bought the 24102B from Fryes in December and brought it home and put it in my system and it worked great.. for three days, when all of a sudden the system wouldn't detect it anymore and the drive wouldn't eject. It had just plain died. After about 2 weeks of playing around with Pacific Digital (the company that packaged the LiteOn) they finally gave me an RMA to send it back. I waited three weeks and got a new one. Yeaaa! I plugged it in and they tray came out, same as everyone else here. I've tried everything I could think of and Pacific Digital just keeps sending me back crapolla about changing my driver and my bus mastering drivers (which are all the latest from Via) and they just don't seem to get the hint that it comes out on power-up.... about 1 second after hitting the power button. That has NOTHING to do with drivers! I've re-itterated this about 20X and they just keep sending me the same technical support crap. about 4 days ago they said they were going to send me new RMA to send it back, and I have yet to hear from them. What kills me is that I'm paying money to ship out a defective product that is under warranty, not once, but twice! Arrgghhh!

Anyhow, my next call will be to my credit card company to see if they can do anything for me. If anyone has any tips, I'd be glad to hear from you. Thanks for listening to my rants.

Rick
dimustrace@excite.com

IWill KK266+ (Via Chipset)
AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz
512 MB PC133 RAM
Pine nVidia GeForce2 MX-400

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 53
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/27/2002 7:19:01 AM   
pmcx9

I just took a look at this thread after a couple of weeks away and it occurred to me that peeps are suggesting all sorts of reasons for problems and PSU is often the conclusion.

I disagree with this theory.

If I replace my ABIT KT7a with an ECS K7s5a(SIS chipset) motherboard I have no problems at all FULLSTOP. Nothing, nitsh, nout, zero

So how can the PSU be to blame?

My conclusion is the LiteON seems to suffer from a power lockout caused by contollers on certain motherboards. It seems that ABIT's motherboards are mainly cited but this is not exclusive.

Hence the LiteON's basic build is possibly flawed. I doubt whether firmware upgrading is a 100% fix. It seems possible to me to be able to power lock the LiteON after every fix has been applied.

My two cents worth!

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 54
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/27/2002 10:30:50 AM   
j00k

Great observation! Too bad I am currently running an ABIT board and already had 2 occurences of the tray-ejecting problem. On the other hand, my friend who used his 24102B a MSI board and now the ECS K7S5A hasn't had one single tray problem! We both bought ours at the same time and I've got the short end of the stick

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 55
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 2/27/2002 2:43:29 PM   
smartyheid

Hi there!

Just to let everyone know, I've had an e-mail from Liteon's technical department saying that an new firmware version for the LTR16102B is on the way(Next week or week after) which should fix this problem whiuch is apparently due to the Liteon drive not going to zero volts at shutdown with certain motherboards.

In the meantime a solution which I have found and have posted elsewhere on the forum which seems to work is to shutdown the machine but leave it connected to mains(Case power swttch on)and then hold down the tray eject button on the CD-RW for a few seconds to allow the charge to dissipate and reset the drive and then power up with a (hopefully) fully working drive. This does the same as disconnecting the IDE/Power connectors from the back of the drive.

GOOD LUCK! and keep your eye out for the F/W fix

Marty

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 56
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 3/24/2002 11:00:13 AM   
Nathan

quote:
Just to let everyone know, I've had an e-mail from Liteon's technical department saying that an new firmware version for the LTR16102B is on the way(Next week or week after) which should fix this problem

Anybody get this new firmware and can confirm/deny that it does/does not fix the problem?

FWIW, I've got the 16x10x40 Liteon and an ABIT BH6 board. I've had the constant-tray-opening problem and solved it by disconnecting the IDE cable, rebooting, shutting down, reconnecting IDE, rebooting method as well.

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 57
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 3/24/2002 6:59:46 PM   
smartyheid

Unfortunately it seems that I was too optimistic about Liteon getting themselves in gear

I had an e-mail from Liteon uk technical staff over a week ago telling me this-

Hi I've just got the new firmware and after testing I hope to send it to you later today.

This message has been followed by absolute silence from Liteon which leads me to believe that the Firmware must have been fataly flawed and e-Mailing for further info has been met by absolute silence. I will be e-mailling the tech staff today to see if I can get anything out of them but don't hold your breath!!!!!

Marty

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 58
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 3/27/2002 1:10:39 PM   
Frintin

I updated firmware on my LTR-2410B to 5S57 and it seemed to fix the tray ejecting problem. It ocurred twice about 2 weeks apart, and most likely happened after power was lost to the computer(at least I know this happened right before problem showed up the second time.)

I do have an Abit Be-6 motherboard, and perhaps the firmware Liteon used had problems with this type of motherboard, prior to the 5S57 firmware.

Apparently the problem was recognition of the voltage on the motherboard affecting the drive.

Well for a couple weeks the drive works fine with the new firmware.

Frintin

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 59
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 4/5/2002 9:36:38 AM   
JoeW

I've just had the ejecting problem after plugging in a new USB device.
So is this the final word - 5S57 firmware ? Anyone installed this and still has a problem ? Cheers

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 60
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 4/6/2002 12:59:48 PM   
wdekler

The problem is still there. The drawer remains shut though.... (24 speed, 57 firmware). Using the jumpers revived the drive again.

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 61
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 4/25/2002 11:05:48 PM   
zvsmedia

LTR-16102B and LTR-32123S have new firmware posted as of today:
http://www.liteonit.com/index-english.htm

Any feedback on whether this is fixes the problem would be great - I want to put my 16x back in my Abit machine. :)

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 62
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 4/27/2002 5:25:56 PM   
DavidR

I think 5s57 is the answer. I got my 24102B at xmas and had the drawer eject nightmare from day one on an abit KT7 with Tbird 1300. 5s54 fixed it for 3 months. Adding an IBM 120GXP drive to the existing two quantum hard drives led me back to the same draw eject problem. I did not even touch the cable the liteon was on.

Tried the unplug the data cable thing without success. Touch wood 5s57 seems to have it licked so far.

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 63
RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved - 4/27/2002 5:26:28 PM   
DavidR

I think 5s57 is the answer. I got my 24102B at xmas and had the drawer eject nightmare from day one on an abit KT7 with Tbird 1300. 5s54 fixed it for 3 months. Adding an IBM 120GXP drive to the existing two quantum hard drives led me back to the same draw eject problem. I did not even touch the cable the liteon was on.

Tried the unplug the data cable thing without success. Touch wood 5s57 seems to have it licked so far.

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 64
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Update; Drawer Tray opening problem solved Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI