CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1433 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility - 12/29/2002 1:34:07 AM   
HalF-OrfY

Does anyone know if Prodisc 40x CD-R's works well with Plextor 24x ?
Besause I think that they don't. Let me explain: I tried to burn a BIN image with Nero in DAO/96 mode and when my recorder shifted from 20x to 24x speed, the recording proccess stopped with a "write error" message. I tried with Alcohol and another disc to write the same BIN with RAW DAO mode and the same happened. But when I tried the same with a CD-RW the recording proccess went OK. Finally I tried to write another Prodisc 40x in 16x speed this time and it went also OK. But when I used Nero CD Speed to check the quality of the disc, it had many errors causing the drive to slow down even to 4x in order to read it. I checked with another prodisc 40x disc containing audio this time and it produced millions of errors. For a moment I thought that my drive went bad but I checked with at least 30 disc of every make and type containing audio, data, etc. and my drive always read them with maximum speed and no errors at all, so my drive is OK. I used Prodisc 24x before these 40x nightmare discs with excellent results and no errors. Is there such a big change from 24x to 40x Prodisc discs that they can't work correcly with my 24x burner? Is this a known incompatibility that Plextor will probably fix with a firmware update?

Thanks in advance and sorry that my first post in this forum was sooooooooooooooo loooooooooooooooooooong !!!!
Post #: 1
RE: Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility - 12/30/2002 4:05:02 AM   
WebTech Inc

Here is a list of CD media that Plextor recommends for
the PlexWriter 24/10/40A. Prodisc isn't among them. http://www.plextor.be/english/technical/cdrmedia241040A.html

Long post - short answer

(in reply to HalF-OrfY)
Post #: 2
RE: Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility - 12/30/2002 12:21:00 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

are your 40x Prodisc CD-Rs silver/diamond?? (which means, they don't show any burn marks when they've been burned??) If so I may be able to do some testing for you! I use the 25x all the time (at 40x even) without any problems.

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to HalF-OrfY)
Post #: 3
RE: Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility - 1/1/2003 6:30:47 PM   
HalF-OrfY

To WebTech Inc: I know this list but it's pretty generic and doesn't show the actual brand names that use a specific dye. Yes, I know that TDK are good CD-R's but they are rather expensive here in Greece that I live. I try to find a brand that gives me a good price/performance ratio. Imagine that I bought the 50 Prodiscs for 20 and the TDK's costs 0.80 per CD which means 40 for 50 items. I definetely don't want to pay so much. Yesterday I bought 25 Traxdata's for only 7.50 that use Ritek Silver dye. What do you think about them?

To Dolphinius_Rex: They are the black ones. Anyway, thanks.

(in reply to HalF-OrfY)
Post #: 4
RE: Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility - 1/2/2003 1:15:58 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Ritek's latest CD-Rs have some pretty impressive test scores! I've been working with someone inside of the Californian Ritek building over the last couple of months, and the media I've tested of theirs looks pretty good. Their 40x maxell CD-Rs appear to be very impressive so far. I hope to have some for personal testing soon!

(in reply to HalF-OrfY)
Post #: 5
RE: Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility - 1/2/2003 1:41:49 PM   
HalF-OrfY

I'm very grad to hearing this Dolphinius_Rex! I'll do some testing too and I'll post the results

(in reply to HalF-OrfY)
Post #: 6
RE: Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility - 1/2/2003 4:05:26 PM   
jase1

Prodisc have traditionally had problems with Plextor writers - I have heard of a few people here in the UK who have had nothing but trouble with Plextor and the new 40x Prodiscs. The media works fine with the two other "highly compatible" CDRW manufacturers, TEAC and LiteOn :/

I would suggest that the problem is firmware, as you mention, although with the 24x Plex probably aren't supporting it any more :(

Dolphinius, you mention the 40x Maxell Ritek media. I haven't tried it myself, but Ian at CDRLabs has had real trouble getting various new writers to work well with it, and I've used some Ritek 40/48x media lately and have to say that it is nowhere near as good as it once was (high C1 count towards the 75-80' mark). A pity as I used to swear by it.

(in reply to HalF-OrfY)
Post #: 7
RE: Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility - 1/5/2003 4:08:10 AM   
HalF-OrfY

My first experience with the Traxdata/Ritek was excellent. No problems with recording and read performance was very good too. I'll do some deeper testing about error rates and I'll make a post.
Anyway, this forum is really great. Thanks to anybody!

(in reply to HalF-OrfY)
Post #: 8
RE: Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility - 1/5/2003 5:54:30 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

well, I was only given the one piece of media so it isn't a fool proof testing, that's why I want to get more

I've got a friend with a plextor drive so I'll see if I can get him to burn some of my 40x Prodisc to see how it turns out.

You know it kinda sad, I used to burn CDs for personal use all the time sometimes as many as 150pcs a month.. but now almost half the CDs I burn are for testing purposes, or someone else. Oh well, no regrets!

(in reply to HalF-OrfY)
Post #: 9
RE: Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility - 1/6/2003 3:22:51 PM   
rjw

I hope you are that lucky to get the same manufacturer batch since with Maxell it will be hard.
Maxell has used the following manufacturers in the past.

Ritek
MPO
Maxell
TY
Acer/DAXON

I will test this as soon as I have some Prodisc 40x media which will be in a couple of days.

(in reply to HalF-OrfY)
Post #: 10
RE: Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility - 1/11/2003 7:05:06 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Maxell 40x Followup:

I've picked up a 10 pack of the 40x Maxell 80min/700MB CD-Rs, and they are indeed the same ones I mentioned before. SO far I have only tested one, but I will be testing 5 of them. The results I am recieving are consistant with what I saw initially with the CD-R provided by my friend.

Using CD Doctor, these are ther results I recieved:
C1 Min: 0 C1 Max: 22 C1 Ave: 0.596
C2 Min: 0 C2 Max: 0 C2 Ave: 0.000

I have never had a media score this well on CD Doctor. THe Maxell CD-Rs that I used have a green label, and are NOT the Maxell PRO CD-Rs. They are made by Ritek, and are compatible to 48x, though I have so far only tested the certified speed.

(in reply to HalF-OrfY)
Post #: 11
RE: Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility - 1/11/2003 7:15:39 PM   
rabbit

[img=left]http://www.maxellcanada.com/images/normal/623201.jpg[/img=left]
THe Maxell CD-Rs that I used have a green label, and are NOT the Maxell PRO CD-Rs.

<-- you mean like this?

(in reply to HalF-OrfY)
Post #: 12
RE: Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility - 1/11/2003 10:41:47 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Yep, those are the ones! I'm very impressed with them so far! I'd like to hear other's experiences too though!

(in reply to HalF-OrfY)
Post #: 13
RE: Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility - 1/17/2003 1:23:44 AM   
harpocrates23

I've used Prodisc 40x cd-r's Half-OrfY and didnt have any problems when writing them( Im using a yamaha 20x cd recorder). But i did notice something weird when reading from them: They make this scratching sound like some little piece is broken off...And usually they are harder to copy from (by harder i mean they take longer to read with clone cd for example)! I use silvercircle and philips cd-r's(both 40x) now without any problems which i get from athens(the same place everyone buys from and im guessing u know too if u live in athens). I dont know much about cd testing but if u guys could share some info id be glad to test the brands i use so i could help out here.

The God of silence has left.....You may speak now!!

(in reply to HalF-OrfY)
Post #: 14
RE: Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility - 1/19/2003 3:38:35 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

my review for the Maxell 40x CD-Rs is FINALLY up!

A word of warning: The colour scheme on my site is HORRIBLE right now, but it will be fixed as soon as possible for my webmaster. Please be patient with me, as I will be cleaning up the review a little still, but I wanted to get something up on my page since it was averaging 70 hits a day on a coming soon page [:I]

Enjoy, the link is below in my signiture

(in reply to HalF-OrfY)
Post #: 15
RE: Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility - 1/19/2003 6:57:24 AM   
rabbit

just a side note: some people (like me) disable displaying signatures because people often write a bunch of junk : ).

(in reply to HalF-OrfY)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Prodisc 40x CD-R's & Plextor 24x Incompatibility Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI