CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Microsoft To Secure IE For XP Only!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1271 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Microsoft To Secure IE For XP Only! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Microsoft To Secure IE For XP Only! - 9/23/2004 4:06:17 PM   
WinThusiast

If you're one of about 200 million people using older versions of Windows and you want the latest security enhancements to Internet Explorer, get your credit card ready.

Microsoft this week reiterated that it would keep the new version of Microsoft's IE Web browser available only as part of the recently released Windows XP operating system, Service Pack 2. The upgrade to XP from any previous Windows versions is $99 when ordered from Microsoft. Starting from scratch, the operating system costs $199.

That, analysts say, is a steep price to pay to secure a browser that swept the market as a free, standalone product.

"It's a problem that people should have to pay for a whole OS upgrade to get a safe browser," said Michael Cherry, analyst with Directions on Microsoft in Redmond, Wash. "It does look like a certain amount of this is to encourage upgrade to XP."

Microsoft affirmed that its recent security improvements to IE would be made available only to XP users.

"We do not have plans to deliver Windows XP SP2 enhancements for Windows 2000 or other older versions of Windows," the company said in a statement. "The most secure version of Windows today is Windows XP with SP2. We recommend that customers upgrade to XP and SP2 as quickly as possible."
Full story...

Source : CNET News
Post #: 1
RE: Microsoft To Secure IE For XP Only! - 9/23/2004 5:45:30 PM   
sp

quote:

...We recommend that customers upgrade to XP and SP2 as quickly as possible."...

So that you, idiod customers will have to pay for obtaining what we should had provided you in the first place for free...

WM # CI

(in reply to WinThusiast)
Post #: 2
RE: Microsoft To Secure IE For XP Only! - 9/24/2004 10:09:32 AM   
SiliconFreak

People at Microsoft sure know all marketing tricks Just give people something "for free"...and in meanwhile...while they are still hot and happy of all "freeware" they received...EMPTY THEIR POCKETS ASAP!!!...

I mean...common...I guess there are many big firms with older Windows systems which serve them well...so now they should be upgrading them to XP (and pay somewhere between $99-$199) just to be able to get new version of IE?!!! Not fair! Lets sign the petition...

Btw...since Billy boy is still nr.1 in USA (and probably the whole world) with some $46.6Billion!!!...and with this years "wage" of $901,667 + $3.3Billion earned from 1.1million M$ stocks he owns (this years dividends were $3 per stock!)...he could easily let those 200million older windows users to get those upgrades for free (or for christmass presents - it sounds better that way, doesnt it? )...

He also announced that he will give those $3.3Billion to charities this year (so its more than obvious that he doesnt need all that money)...so I really dont understand why doesnt he care much also about his customers...or does he rather collect as much money as possible...just to be able to say later...HEY FOLKS I GAVE $3.3BILLION TO CHARITIES THIS YEAR! I AM A GOOD GUY AFTERALL! Ohhh Billy, Billy...lets get serious... And he also should never forget that he IS replaceable...both HE and Windows are...and if he doesnt start working and acting in this way soon....he might loose that KINGDOM within few years! Go LINUXXXXXXXXXXX, Goooooooo...

Enjoy everybody...

(in reply to sp)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Microsoft To Secure IE For XP Only! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI