CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

VIA Gives Away Disk-Scrubbing Software !!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1319 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> VIA Gives Away Disk-Scrubbing Software !! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
VIA Gives Away Disk-Scrubbing Software !! - 9/20/2004 12:06:40 PM   
SiliconFreak

Tru-Delete that overwrites files with random numbers, aided by a feature on VIA's processors

In an effort to promote a new processor feature, Via Technologies has released open-source software for thoroughly erasing deleted files.

The Taiwanese company's Intel-compatible chips, such as the C3, Eden and Antaur, include a random number generator that is useful for tasks such as accelerating some encryption operations. The company last week released an open-source program called Tru-Delete that overwrites files with random numbers.

Scrubbing software can be useful for companies wishing to protect sensitive information, particularly on notebooks, which have a higher risk of being stolen. It also makes it harder for law enforcement agencies to recover forensic information through investigations.

For those wanting to permanently delete unwanted files for security or privacy reasons, overwriting with random numbers instead of, for example, just a long string of zeros, makes it harder to recover information. Via said its chips' hardware boost speeds the disk-scrubbing process, because the processor doesn't have to run taxing software for generating random numbers.

Offering free software to attract attention is nothing new. But offering open-source software adds another dimension to the tactic: It means that programmers can adapt the software for their own uses. Werner du Plessis, a Via representative, said the company has planned for additional open-source projects.

Via released the software under the General Public License, which governs Linux and many other open-source projects. Versions of the software are available for Linux, Windows and Windows CE.

Source : CNET News
Post #: 1
RE: VIA Gives Away Disk-Scrubbing Software !! - 9/20/2004 6:45:37 PM   
sp

I have used in the past:

Active Disk Wiper

with excelent results.

WM # CI

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> VIA Gives Away Disk-Scrubbing Software !! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI